Vocals in the mix

outerspacepop

• Members

So for the past few days I've been trying to mix and master vocals and for some reason I really can't get them to sit well in the mix. I've read various articles and watched videos on how to. I'm using a condenser mic. Having it 8inches away and about eye height. I'm recording in my room and its a 80$ mic so I'm not expecting the best quality.

After i record I de-noise it using Sound Track Pro. Then back in logic I'll EQ it and use a compressor and some pitch correction. It'll sound decent on it's own. Then I'll add reverb using space designer. I'm not sure if the reverb is any good but it's all I have right now. Not sure if that makes a big difference. I can't ever really get it to sound how I want with space designer though. I'll take any advice on a good reverb.

Anyway, no matter how many different things i try the vocal always sounds way to on top of the mix and awkward. I'll take any feedback or links to any instructional website I might not have found yet.

Thanks!

• Members

Thanks for the response I've tried that to but I have issues with reverb.

http://www.4shared.com/file/185585385/afd56adf/Pull_me_in.html

I know I'm not the best singer but it's just something I recorded to try and learn.

This has a compressor on it

4.2:1 ratio

1.0 knee

4.5ms attack

130ms release

-20.0db threshold

A Channel EQ

-6.0 DB at 200Hz and below

+3 Db in the 15khz range and the 3khz range

and some pitch correction.

I'm using logic pro 9 and try to add reverb on it using Space Designer (best reverb I have) but it always sounds off to me. I try using the various impulse responses (presets sort of) it comes with but always sound like to much or very edited.

• Members

- vocal sound is fine; clear, easy to understand words, good tone.

- they cut through the mix, maybe too much so

- turn the vocals down a whole bunch

- try to balance the drums, lead instruments, vocals so they all have the same volume.

- increase the level of reverb to the point where you hear the reverb working, then turn it down a touch. It should be there but only barely noticeable.

- unless you're going for some special effect you don't need much more on the vocals.

Remix and post a new mix....

• Members

Is there an easy way to figure out what frequencies your voice takes up, so you can cut them in the other tracks?

http://www.bluecataudio.com/Products/Product_FreqAnalyst/

Edit: I listened to it through my fancy pants speakers.

The vocals are sounding a tad muddy - either reduce the 200hz region or brighten them.

Compress the vox a bit more and/or just turn them down

I don't care much for the snare, but that's not what we're talking about here

• Members

Do you guys know of any other websites such as http://recordingwebsite.com/articles/eqprimer.php that help with learning the EQ frequencies.

Also of a free decent parametric EQ for mac? I was watching a tutorial video and the guy mentioned a parametric EQ is good for learning the EQs because of it only allowing you to turn the knobs of specific frequencies. Logic pro has several EQs but none are the type he mentioned.

Archived