anyone share warmoth neck experiences?

500Hz

• Members

i'm about to order a neck to go on my jazz, most likely a p-style for the wider spacing

i'm considering some options for the woods:

classic maple/rw board

birdseye maple/rw

maple/pao ferro (don't know much about it, just looks like a nice wood!)

wenge/wenge (i like the idea of no finish on the back, could feel pretty nice)

anyone have anything to share? any advice? thanks!

• Members

I've got a 5-piece maple/bubinga Gecko neck, with fretless pau fello fingerboard lined with ebony. The maple is beautifully grained, and the bubinga is a good contrast and great color coordination. (Body's koa.) The pau ferro seems very similar to ebony in density and hardness, and it certainly is beautiful and different. I would guess the dual graphite rods help. But, unfortunately, I've been dragging my ass on getting it together, so I can't rate it's performance.

• Members

Originally posted by It's Read

If I'm not mistaken, the string spacing on Jazz and Precision necks are the same, just the necks themselves are different sizes.

From the Warmoth site, at least for the necks They make, both necks have 2-1/2" wide heels. But the J bass is 1-1/2" wide at the nut, while the P bass is 1-11/16".

BTW, have a wenge neck on another bass, feels pretty good!

drozd24_fullback.jpg

• Members

cool, thanks!

how does that wenge feel--is the wide grain very prominent, or does is feel smooth after you break it in?

also--how is the weight compared to maple? i have a fairly light body that i want to balance:)

• Members

Yes, the wenge feels smooth, not grainy. I don't know about the weight, and I'm not about to take it apart to find out. :p But, the bass has a smallish body, is not very heavy, and balances upward nicely.

What I can find, from Googling places such as Woodworkers Source wenge weighs in about 54 lbs/cu ft, whereas most hard maples weigh in about 44 lbs/cu ft.

• Members

Great stuff, high quality , I think they do nuts now too , I think their necks are a little heavier due to the 2 large steel supports inside.I think that Wenge is a good bit heavier as well , but a very nice feel , I prefer the unfinished feel , even on a Maple neck I like a light oil finish , they also make great bodies , and offer stainless steel frets, something I really dig and have them on a warmoth neck . The tricky thing is to drill the neck bolt holes , you may want to have a pro tech do this for you, though you can do it yourself it is a little nerve - wracking, just take your time and check and recheck it .

My warmoth carved dinky p :D;)

warmoth.jpg

Archived