Amp Direct Out question...

The Unknown

• Members

Hi !

I was wondering... Is it OK to use the balanced (XLR) out of a solidstate (solidstate preamp and mosfet power amp) bass amp with NO speakers plugged in ? I know you can't do it with an all tube amp but is it possible to do with a solidstate amp ?

• Members

Originally posted by The Unknown

Hi !

I was wondering... Is it OK to use the balanced (XLR) out of a solidstate (solidstate preamp and mosfet power amp) bass amp with NO speakers plugged in ? I know you can't do it with an all tube amp but is it possible to do with a solidstate amp ?

With solid state it wont hurt a thing.

• Members

Cool !

So if I understand clearly, I could disconnect the speaker from my Ampeg B2 combo, plug an XLR cable from the amp to the mixing board, and record silently at an acceptable input level given to the mixer ?

Good thing I asked... I was so used to the all tube amps that really needed a speaker load !

Well, well, one other thing I don't need to buy after all (direct box) !

• Members

Originally posted by jazzbassist

If you get serious about recording, a good DI is one of the best investments you will make.

Well, maybe but in my case right now, not having to buy a DI and being able to record using the direct signal of one of my amps with the speakers UNPLUGGED is a great thing... having sometimes more time to record nightly but being in a position where I can't with speakers plugged in...

• Members

Originally posted by The Unknown

Well, maybe but in my case right now, not having to buy a DI and being able to record using the direct signal of one of my amps with the speakers UNPLUGGED is a great thing... having sometimes more time to record nightly but being in a position where I can't with speakers plugged in...

Hmm...

I don't know jack about stuff like this from a technical standpoint, but I just (meaning within the last 30 minutes) set up my rig so that I can DI into my mixer. I have the cabs plugged in (hybrid amp...don't know if it will hurt to run them unplugged or not but am not chancing it until I check with GB) but the volume turned all the way down. I ran a DI (it's adjustable) to my cheaping Behringer mixer. I ran my mp3 player in also. I'm mixing the signals and am running the output to either my headphones or my Ampeg BA115. The headphone setup is for quiet practicing, the second is for playing along at bedroom levels.

• Members

So I tried it out and it's pretty cool... I'm more satisfied with my headphone sound running the direct out of the B2 into my behringer mixer then simply using the Korg Pandora PX3B... I guess it'll be nice record ideas in almost silence nightly...

I checked on Ampeg's website... I should have done it in the first place since the answer was in the FAQs. All amps with no tube power sections can be used with no speakers plugged in... nice to know !

• Members

Originally posted by Thrash Jazz

Isn't there a DI out there that doubles as a headphone amp?

Originally posted by J the D

My Jazz sounds great through the Active DI from Audiopile.net. Nothing compares for the money.

I just checked Audiopile.net... The Active DI has a phone jack... pretty cool !

Archived