New Speaker Question

Monkaton

• Members

I have a Sunn Scepter (old tube amp rated at about 80 watts RMS, but very loud and clean) that I use for my bass amp with an Ampeg 1X15.

I bought a Carvin RL2x10 that is supposed to come today. I already have some concerns about the Carvin having read some of the comments on the forum, but if I don't like it I'll send it back. Anyway, back to my question.

The Sunn amp has a 4 ohm and an 8 ohm output. I usually plug the Ampeg into the 8 ohm. The Carvin is rated at 4 ohms.

Should I just plug the Carvin into the 4ohm and the Ampeg into the 8 ohm outputs? The Carvin also has an output that will allow you to connect to another speaker. Would it be better to plug the Ampeg into the Carvin and if so, which amp output should I use, the 4 ohm or the 8 ohm?

Thanks for your help.

• Members

Originally posted by ToeJamFootball

you cant use a 4 ohm speaker and an 8 ohm speaker at the same time, it will give you a loda of something like 2.6ohms, and i doubt your amp vcan handle that,

you need to get another 8 ohms cab

ToeJam

Thanks for your response.

Is this true even with the dual output jacks on the back of my amp, one marked 4 ohms and the other 8 ohms?

Thanks for your help.

• Members

I got the RL210T today and tried it out with the outputs on the back of my amp. Sounded good, better than I thought it would.

I really don't hear any significant difference when adjusting the red horn compressor. Maybe it should be called the red herring compressor.

Tomorrow, I will crank it up, but so far so good.

Archived