any pharmacy people here?

ImaSmrtBaby

• Members

It probably won't kill you, but you'll have an interesting night.

Wellbutrin is actually an antidepressant, if memory serves. It just so happens to have a side effect of inhibiting the desire to smoke, hence, the off-label prescription of it as such.

Antidepressants and alcohol (a depressant) usually don't like to play together, but you probably won't end up hospitalized unless you try to match your friend shot-for-shot.

• Members

Originally posted by takeout

Antidepressants and alcohol (a depressant) usually don't like to play together, but you probably won't end up hospitalized unless you try to match your friend shot-for-shot.

:o

he's a lightweight. does it matter though, that i'm not at all depressed?

• Members

Originally posted by ImaSmrtBaby

i'm taking 150mg of Wellbutrin XL to quit smoking.

is it gonna kill me if i go out drinking this friday? its my guitarists birthday, and he's turning 21, so there is no way I can't drink
:o

I am not a pharmacist, but I take Wellbutrin for depression, I still drink occasionally, and have never had any of the harmful interaction effects. However, I've been taking it for several years now and I quit drinking for the first 6 months or so that I was on it. It may be that once your body gets used to it your chance of having a bad interaction goes down.

Supposedly alcohol and wellbutrin mixed increases your risk of having a seizure. Does anything like that run in your family?

• Members

My future brother in law is a doctor at the Mayo Clinic in Phoenix. (Radiologist)

but anyway, he says, Taking any type of anti-depressant or any other type of psychological affecting drug and drinking is a really bad idea. Not only does the risk of seizure increase (dramatically) but also, introducing alcohol into your bloodstream while your brain is already being affected by another substance can really {censored} with you and your tolerance to those drugs you are taking (read, it won't help you quit smoking).

Archived