have you ever been yelled at onstage by another band member?

neilster

• Members

Originally posted by Rowka

We make {censored}ing up on stage a drinking game. Mess up, do a shot of Jaeger.

We instituted a "drop and give me 10" rule at practice. It was "drop and give me 20", but I was the only one who could hold up for more than two {censored}-ups. Our sets are a lot tighter now...

I've yelled at people onstage, but they were all guitarists. I was within my rights.

• Members

I've always thought it unprofessional to have a stage meltdown. Save it till after you finish the set. I've had screaming matches with my singer after the show, but no one but the band was around. People don't want to see a fight, they want music.

• Members

Singer/guitarist in my old band threw a hissy fit on stage once, because HE totally {censored}ed up the song and stopped, so we, as a good rhythm section should, kept on groovin'. He threw a fit and started screaming for us to stop.

That was that band's last gig, thank you very little.

• Members

Yeah, last thing you should do is make a scene. 99.9% of mistakes will go completely unnoticed by the audience. If you acknowledge the mistake people will know you messed up and think a little less of your band. If you make an outright scene it's that much worse.

• Members

I used to be in a band with my two older brothers. We were in our early twenties. Kind of self-explanatory, yes? Thank God for creeping middle age.

Ever notice that it's the real mediocrities (most guitarists) and tin-eared, insecure interlopers with no business in music (most lead singers) who have the snottiest attitudes?

• Members

Sheeeit, I ain't had a screaming match with anyone in years. Of course I ain't been in a band with a chick singer in years either...

Back in the day me and the guitarist of my first real area band used to go at it hammer and tong. He was a superior quitarist and a great teacher but he was also a prima dona and band leader. Once we playing on a hot muggy night in a dinge hole of a club with NO A.C. It was impossilbe to stay in tune. I was clearly tuning up, you know back to the crowd, staring at tuner... and he launches into a song.

I yelled "wait I'm tuning up". He stops for a second then launches into it again. So I got pissed, took the bass and threw it to the stage and just started singing, even though he was the "leader" of the band, I played bass, sang all the songs and wrote all of the originals.... go fig". I didn't play a lick of bass for the whole song. When it was done I walked over to him and said, "when I say wait Goddamnit I mean WAIT!!!" He never did that again.

Now that I'm running my current band I never yell at guys on stage. You {censored} up, I give you the five finger sign, which means it'll cost you $5.00 to the band recording fund. If it's a real clam it costs you %10.00 but I rarely collect. We, a good band and it's all in fun. We're pro's and we treat each other with respect. I've only restarted a couple of songs in the 9 years with this band but I usually do it in fun, talking about "live music being fraught with {censored}-ups".

Da Worfster :cool:

• Members

Daaaaannngg, what is up with all the shouting???

Love, Peace and Musical Brotherhood.

In the band Im in, if we mess up in practice we just give the offender a strange look and laugh because the messups sound funny.

If we mess up during a gig we act like it never happen. We all screw up at times and we all know it. Get over it and move on I say.

• Members

No yelling. That is 100% unprofessional, and serves no purpose but to make the whole band look like a pack of idiots.

Everyone has woopsies. Don't acknowledge it during the set, and neither will the audience most of the time. If it becomes an epidemic, address it as a band and fix the problem. Most woopsies aren't worth gettin bent over cause they don't siderail the band as a whole. Just give the offender a little polite ribbing after you come offstage.

But, I do flash our drummer a piss look every now and then when he's at his alcohol limit. His drum-pekker seems to grow too big at that point and he starts playin really dumb {censored} that screws up the tempo and makes us all look bad. Usually a quick, "knock that {censored} off" look will settle him down a bit. then after the set, the rest of the band gives him several verbal bitchslaps.

• Members

I come from an orchestral background where unprofessionalism is the highest of sins. Everything's controlled and disciplined, especially the music that doesn't sound like it's controlled and disciplined. Trust me, Stravinsky is harder than Beethoven, focus-wise.

I've only once heard of a shouting match during a rehearsal of a professional orchestra, and that was just a joke the first horn and first trombone were playing on the orchestra.

Generally, it's "get the job done, period." That's basically how my band approaches performances. Of course, we goof up, but we get the job done, without screwing around.

nspbass

• Members

Originally posted by fastplant

Yeah, last thing you should do is make a scene. 99.9% of mistakes will go completely unnoticed by the audience. If you acknowledge the mistake people will know you messed up and think a little less of your band. If you make an outright scene it's that much worse.

Yep - our lead singer made a couple faces one night on a gig...next rehearsal I said don't ever do that because 1) I don't like it 2) You look like a bitch and unprofessional when you do it.....

that was the end of of it on stage

but that's because I have the best bandmates in my current band...it has not always been so...

in rehearsal it's every man for himself...that's where we get it all out....c-d

• Members

I got yelled at once to "waken up" by the drummer in the first band I ever did any serious gigging with. I was pretty green and as nervous as hell. The result was I got even more nervous and made even more mistakes. Didn't enjoy that one, and to be honest I doubt anyone in the audience even noticed.

By contrast I played in a band a few years later who would stop in the middle of a song to tell a joke, the lead singer would wander off into the toilets with the radio mike and if anyone seriously messed up the whole band would stop, point a finger at him and yell "NYAAAAAHHH!!!". The crowd loved it!

These days when (not if!) I or anyone else messes up onstage we usually get a big grin from the rest of the band, grin back and get on with it. The bigger the {censored}-up the bigger the grin, and we have had the whoel band paralysed with laughter onstage more than once.

It's entertainment guys. If it gets to the yelling stage I think we're kind of missing the point.

• Members
Originally posted by Worf101

Now that I'm running my current band I never yell at guys on stage. You {censored} up, I give you the five finger sign, which means it'll cost you $5.00 to the band recording fund. If it's a real clam it costs you %10.00 but I rarely collect.

Da Worfster
:cool:

Van Morrison is alleged to fine his band members

• Members

Just once.

Somehow during a song my bass became unplugged. I immediately looked to the ground to find the cable.

I was walking in circles when the one guitar player yelled over to tell me the cable was "OVER THERE". It had somehow ended up over by my amp. Don't ask me how. Then the whole band couldn't stop giggling at me.

I didn't hear the end of that for quite some time. :D

• Members

*The participants are given fake names in the following scenario.

I've never yelled at another band member onstage for a mistake, but I DID make a stupid, sarcastic remark on the microphone when I was 19, just starting to play in the clubs. I was the singer in this one band when we were playing some dive in who-remembers-where VA and playing some song I don't even remember the name of. Needless to say, I wasn't crazy about the club or the song we were doing.

Anyhoo, at the end, the keyboardist didn't stop the song with the rest of us, and me, being young, cocky and stupid, say on the microphone, "Joe Blow, ladies and gentlemen, ending one song, and giving birth to another!" In my naive idiocy, I thought I was being clever.

Well, the keyboardist didn't say a word, didn't even look like he heard me but on break, he then proceeded to tear me a second asshole and a third nostril, and deservedly so.

I learned two important lessons that night:

One, if there's a mistake made on stage, even if the audience DOES notice it, don't announce it onstage either by yelling or making I-thought-it-was-funny comments on the mic and embarass the perpetrator.

Two, whatever disputes or disagreements you have about something someone has said or done, save it for offstage out of earshot of the general public.

And trust me, there have been times when the drummer that plays with me and THX has done something dumb that I've wanted to give him a public on-air castration. Thankfully, I have learned from history.;)

Archived