Back from New Orleans!

Thunderbroom

• Members

Originally posted by Retrovertigo

. . . I don't know if i'd be able to leave that music...

T-broom was being kind. He failed to mention the 99 degree weather daily with 100% humidity! Yes, you could definitely leave. Of course, that is simply a way of life for us.

Glad you enjoyed it, T-broom and Misses T.

I am assuming that you had the traditional chicory coffee and beignets at the Cafe Du Monde?

• Members

Hey Jeff,

Sorry that I didn't call, I did really want to meet up with you and the Mrs. Unfortunately however I have been graced by one of the longest weeks of work of my professional career (it's 5:01am and I'm still here!)

I'm glad that you had a good time though. It sounds like you hit a good number of things I would have suggested. In the event that you're able to return, we will be sure to meet up with you!

A sidenote... did you notice the gear that some of the guys down there use? It varies from being fairly fancy to downright cheap, yet all of those guys know how to make their rig sound great. Some of them are playing 3-6 nights a week down there, and they've got it nailed down really tight. That's understandable though, because when you see a lot of those bands with a "Tip Jar," that is literally how they get paid. The club might give them a few bucks for parking and stuff, but they don't make money if it's not put in the tip jar.

Anyways, tell me more about what you enjoyed about the city! It's always interesting to hear how other people see it.

• Members

Awesome T-broom! Glad you had a safe journey, and the pics look great. I've been playing with the idea of taking the train down there over the Labor Day weekend.

Dixie, Turbodog & Blackened Voodoo are great. There's a Cajun restaurant here that serves 'em. :cool: Apparently, they get all their stuff fresh from LA weekly. :)

• Members

Originally posted by ezstep

I am assuming that you had the traditional chicory coffee and beignets at the Cafe Du Monde?

Yep! I enjoyed the biegnets but my wife can't handle that much sugar. The coffee was good.

And...the weather wasn't that bad...sure, it was hot...but it was hot in Chicago when we left.

NOLA = COOL

Originally posted by Phantasm

A sidenote... did you notice the gear that some of the guys down there use? It varies from being fairly fancy to downright cheap, yet all of those guys know how to make their rig sound great. Some of them are playing 3-6 nights a week down there, and they've got it nailed down really tight. That's understandable though, because when you see a lot of those bands with a "Tip Jar," that is literally how they get paid. The club might give them a few bucks for parking and stuff, but they don't make money if it's not put in the tip jar.

Anyways, tell me more about what you enjoyed about the city! It's always interesting to hear how other people see it.

You're right about the gear...definitely. Folks that think they need a boutique bass and amp to sound great should really rethink this. I saw guys playing Stingrays, Conklin (in the pic I posted), Squier, Lakland and many others. The old guy playing the Squier P through an old Crate grooved harder than just about anybody else I saw the whole time and his tone sounded excellent to my ears. Hmm...maybe there is something to the "tone is in the fingers" stuff that gets posted here.

We took the ferry to Algiers and had coffee in a cool little place while here. We also scoped out the Warehouse District as well as Uptown. My mind is still numb from the experience. I'll try to think of more stuff when my mind is more clear. I've got my band coming over in a few hours and need to get ready for them.

Originally posted by phatster

Sounds like a great vacation,the eats sound too expensive for this boy.

The food prices on the whole are actually not so bad. My wife and I planned to hit a few places that were upscale but compensated financially by eating at our hotel (they served breakfast and dinner each day...with beer/wine in the evening...gratis!). Our first meal in NO was lunch at the Napoleon House. We each had an entree (jambalaya for me/muffaletta for her) and an adult beverage. With tax/tip we were at about $15.

NOLA is all about the food and booze. We consumed a lot of each. I highly recommend a visit.

• Members

Originally posted by T. Alan Smith

Awesome T-broom! Glad you had a safe journey, and the pics look great. I've been playing with the idea of taking the train down there over the Labor Day weekend.

Dixie, Turbodog & Blackened Voodoo are great. There's a Cajun restaurant here that serves 'em.
:cool:
Apparently, they get all their stuff fresh from LA weekly.
:)

How long will the train take? That won't leave much time for seeing the town will it? I booked on Expedia and got what I think is a great deal. My wife and I flew down (United...nonstop) and stayed in a hotel (four nights) for $725. The hotel was actually a suite...we had a king-size bed, a small living room and a kitchen.

• Members

Originally posted by Thunderbroom

How long will the train take? That won't leave much time for seeing the town will it? I booked on Expedia and got what I think is a great deal. My wife and I flew down (United...nonstop) and stayed in a hotel (four nights) for $725. The hotel was actually a suite...we had a king-size bed, a small living room and a kitchen.

That's definately a deal. I believe the train would only take a couple days. I've never taken a train anywhere, and I'd like to before it's too late. Hmmm....maybe over Thanksgiving???

• Members

You're right about the gear...definitely. Folks that think they need a boutique bass and amp to sound great should really rethink this. I saw guys playing Stingrays, Conklin (in the pic I posted), Squier, Lakland and many others. The old guy playing the Squier P through an old Crate grooved harder than just about anybody else I saw the whole time and his tone sounded excellent to my ears. Hmm...maybe there is something to the "tone is in the fingers" stuff that gets posted here.

Yeah, those guys study how to get the best out of their gear and their hands. The guy playing the Squier through the crate... chances are, he's not worried if anyone steals either one, and that's why he uses it! A lot of the guys on Bourbon play through a "house rig" that lives there and they may or may not have had a hand in picking, and usually the philosophy is to have some low-end basses that can be easily replaced if stolen. These guys really do find some gems in the cheap bass realm... these are the guys that go to GC and will play every Squier on the wall until they find the right one.

I think i've seen the Lakland guy you saw, and he was rockin last time I saw him. He's got a 5 string maple neck... I've always found the Lakland 5's are very different from the 4's but he's got his rockin.

I know a singer down there and his bassist plays a Danelectro bass some nights. I checked them out once and he had it and for what it was, he had the tone fitting right in.

I don't go down there often, but I should just to check it out. There are some great players out there.

• Members

That's definately a deal. I believe the train would only take a couple days. I've never taken a train anywhere, and I'd like to before it's too late. Hmmm....maybe over Thanksgiving???

You won't have time to see much of NOLA taking the train over Thanksgiving if it takes two days to get there and two days to get back? It's less than 900 miles, but I don't know how the train system works.

Now's a good time to go...nice hotels are priced right. Still...be prepared to drop a wad of cash (isn't that what vacations are about though?) during your stay. We had a great time there and are already looking forward to returning.

• Members

You won't have time to see much of NOLA taking the train over Thanksgiving if it takes two days to get there and two days to get back? It's less than 900 miles, but I don't know how the train system works.

Now's a good time to go...nice hotels are priced right. Still...be prepared to drop a wad of cash (isn't that what vacations are about though?) during your stay. We had a great time there and are already looking forward to returning.

I had Tina read this thread. She's looking into airline rates now.

• Members

I had Tina read this thread. She's looking into airline rates now.

I've got some insight on hotels now that I didn't when I first started looking. The hotel we stayed at was very nice but I think a return trip will put us fully into the French Quarter instead of the Central Business District.

On the weekends, the rates go up quite a bit. I'd highly recommend taking a trip down there during the week as we did.

• Members

Originally posted by lug

you just can't beat The Big Easy for it's ability to .....

I thought you were going to say, "get {censored} faced, pass out and wake up with a transexual and a chicken in the back of a U-Haul truck."

Both equally true.

• Members

I've taken Amtrak about 10 times as round trips between Chicago and Erie, PA, over the Christmas holidays. It's the Lake Shore Limited, and referred to as the Late For Sure Limited.

The first couple times, it was a lot of fun, and maybe you'd be like 30 minutes late getting out, but they'd make that up. The last 5 or 6 trips were horrendous, being like 16 hours late just to get to Erie, an 8-hour drive! Or being 8 to 16 hours late leaving Erie to return! Froze-up doors and plumbing, wheels that screamed, no dining cars... You can do better.

My viewpoint: Amtrak upper echelon does not want to succeed. My recommendation: Don't take Amtrak over the holidays!

• Members

I've done the train to NO. It was a blast. It's called "the City of New Orleans", maybe you've heard the song about it?

The views from the trains were lots of fun, especially in the back water towns where the train goes right through the poor foolks back yards and you get to see things like little naked children poking the body of a dead dog with a stick. TB, you'd likely find your perfect album cover for YFC somewhere along the way.

Aaaah, memories. :p

• Members

Originally posted by catphish

I assumed Mrs. Lug would have already told you. I was the caboose.
:(

She said it was the first time she got to play "brakeman". You know, the person who is on the back of the caboose. She said she's sorry for forgetting the oil can but at least she didn't bring the big brake lever. :D

Archived