mother effer do i want this motorbike!

bikehorn

• Members

behold, the absolute pimpin'est motorbike in production today, bar none:

main.jpg

The Royal Enfield Bullet 500. the picture actually shows a model produced for the US market called the "Military", kind of a repro of the army specials produced for UK and Indian armies. it comes in 350 and 500 cc models, but i liek the 500 most. 'Course, Enfields stopped being made in the UK in i think 1970, but they kept making them in India, where Enfield had set up shop ages ago, and the design changed very, very little. the result is they are producing new bikes the old way...and supporting them all the same with A+ parts and service.

Ever since i was a kid, whenever my parents took me to India i would see these bikes on the road, and even though i knew nothing about them, it was plain to everyone that they just had a billion times the mojo of any normal {censored} bike. The position of the seat and handlebars meant the rider always had this badass riding posture, kind of a "get out of the way, bitch" thing.

Now they're kind of scarce in Canada, but I found on here in Ontario being sold by a former dealer, and the best part is, it's a '95 500 with optional chrome tank and it's in great condition with a measly 4000 miles on it.

My dad's been wanting a bike for a while now, maybe he'd be interested....

who else here likes old school bikes?

• Members

Originally posted by takeout

That thing has mojo for days.

Well-built?

yeah, they are built like tanks. totally rock solid. and that's in india, where the roads are rougher, traffic is more stop than go, temperatures are higher, gas is crappier and maintainance is arbitrary. actually the old Enfield slogan used to be "Made Like A Gun" ....gun, bullet, get it?

• Members

Originally posted by bikehorn

behold, the absolute pimpin'est motorbike in production today, bar none:

main.jpg

My dad's been wanting a bike for a while now, maybe he'd be interested....

who else here likes old school bikes?

moi...

viper9yj.jpg

my last bike:cool: after this one

item70475.jpg

followed by this

wolseley88tx.jpg

:D

• Members

I wanted a Bonneville so bad I could taste it. I ended up getting a Sportster because it fit me a little better. If you're ever in the Ohio area towards the end of July, check out Vintage Motorcycle Days. You will see people riding in on the coolest bikes plus they have vintage bike races. If you love vintage bikes, don't miss this.

• Members

Originally posted by BoundandBlocked

I wanted a Bonneville so bad I could taste it. I ended up getting a Sportster because it fit me a little better. If you're ever in the Ohio area towards the end of July, check out Vintage Motorcycle Days. You will see people riding in on the coolest bikes
plus
they have vintage bike races. If you love vintage bikes, don't miss this.

hmm, damn i was just in the Warren/Youngstown area this past weekend visiting some family. maybe i could check it out next year or something, i'd even have a place to stay.

• Members

It really is a lot of fun. Here's a link with the 2005 schedule of activities to give you an idea of what goes on.

Schedule of Events

Oh, I almost forgot about the demo rides. That in itself is worth the trip. The demo rides that are lead (some are self lead) are typically described as "spirited" with speeds ocassionally over 100 mph. I'm not sure the Enfield would do that, but a Yamaha Warrior, FZ1, or V-Max will. ;)

The manufacturers must have some arrangement with local law enforcement because I never saw any demo rider pulled over. :p

• Members

Originally posted by mrcrow

ever see a vincent black shadow...
:)

as a matter of fact, yes! it was awesome. they don't show up here too often though. :(

actually, i'd love to see a Brough Superior in real life sometime...for some old school Lawrence Of Arabia style.

Paris%202004%20-%20Brough%20Superior%20S

• Members

ever see a vincent black shadow...

They are neat

Oddly, I think That Hunter Thompson book is responsible for the perception of the Black Shadow being the {censored} when the Black Lightining (The racing version) was the deal

• Members

Originally posted by bikehorn

as a matter of fact, yes! it was awesome. they don't show up here too often though.
:(

actually, i'd love to see a Brough Superior in real life sometime...for some old school Lawrence Of Arabia style.

Paris%202004%20-%20Brough%20Superior%20S

a brufsup....i knew a guy raced these on the isle of man TT about 60 years ago

do you see velocettes and the occasional wide bodied dominators...those were the bikes of my youth

and a dot scrambler and an army bsa single which you could let the clutch out in first gear and it would just chugh along on tickover...:)

• Members

Originally posted by burdizzos

meh, I prefer a bike than can get out of its own way and stop in less distance than most cars.

Marty Dickerson took a Vincent to Bonneville in 1953 and had a two-way average of 147 mph. That record wasn't broken until 1973 by a Z1 Kawasaki at 155 mph. I'd say it could get out of its own way. As for stopping, his bike didn't have brakes on it during the Bonneville runs--so you got me there. :)

• Members

always kind of a fan of the kawi 2 stroke triples (remember the 750 "purple people eater") -- frames a little noodley, but a kick in the pants! and just plain fun to ride

looks like a fish, moves like a fish...steers like a cow

I still have a speciall place in my heart for the RD350/400s

Total belly-button bike...like the pony car of bikes

• Members

a brufsup....i knew a guy raced these on the isle of man TT about 60 years ago

do you see velocettes and the occasional wide bodied dominators...those were the bikes of my youth

and a dot scrambler and an army bsa single which you could let the clutch out in first gear and it would just chugh along on tickover...

Velocettes I do see now and then. Never came across a Dominator here, but one day about 3 or 4 years ago i was in india for my cousin's wedding, and he introduced me to a bike-collector friend of his. a couple of days before the reception, we went over to this guy's house, and parked up front was...a totally mint Dominator. he started it up, and, should i say...the exhaust note definitely "dominated". ;)

• Members

Originally posted by BoundandBlocked

Marty Dickerson took a Vincent to Bonneville in 1953 and had a two-way average of 147 mph. That record wasn't broken until 1973 by a Z1 Kawasaki at 155 mph. I'd say it could get out of its own way. As for stopping, his bike didn't have brakes on it during the Bonneville runs--so you got me there.

At bonneville you have a couple of miles to get up to speed, that's rarely the case when an SUV is about to run you over.

Archived