Just saw Larry Gray play...!!

LittleWoodenBoy

• Members

Ok, so I'm a student at the University of Illinois, and I play in the Jazz bands down here. There's a Jazz Forum that goes on here every Friday at noon, and today's was the first of the new semester, so some of the faculty put a combo together for it. Well there's no Jazz Bass professor down here so they called in a guy whom I'd never heard of before to play Bass for this combo: Larry Gray.

Oh my sweet Lord, this guy's good. I don't know if he's well-known or not. I'm sure he must be, though. He's from Chicago. This guy plays the most burning upright I've ever seen live. On a latin chart they were doing he busted out a bow and did the most amazing arco solo I've ever heard. Just so beautiful and melodic. Anyway, I just wanted to say that this guy's goooood, and I'm going to try to find some recordings he's on.

Anybody else heard of this guy?

• Members

Yah, he's well known on the Chicago jazz scene--he's kind of a top upright cat here, plays with some of the big jazz names that come through.

He used to be a prof. at Northern IL U, and I saw him play a solo set there on upright. He was {censored}ing amazing! I've heard him play in some combos as well and he's just fantastic.

Archived