more PA issues

Fotowns Finest

• Members

ok, well as some of you may or may not have read and earlier thread of mine, i posted my PA issue of how i cant turn it up past 2 without it screaming feedback at me.

i looked into it and it seemed like a new mic and cable would fix this. so i got an SM58 and live wire cable today, tried it out, and now i can only go up to 2 1/2 before it slits my throat with feedback.

what gives? i have a 100W power mixer and 2 100W speakers, and i cant even get close to that. i figure im only getting like 20W out of, seeing as i can only get to 2.

so this obviously leaves the speakers and the mixer as the problem. so, should i buy a better mixer or better speakers?

• Members

hmmmm that is really weird that it's feeding back at that low volume.

I'm not an audiophile, so the only thing I can offer for you is to just try to find someone who knows PA's and ask them to come and take a look at it, or ask the poeple where you bought it....

• Members

are you using GOOD cables to hookup the speakers with? Or the crappy small ones that it came with..?

I switched mine and it seemed more powerfull. But maybe it has a switch or button on it(pa) somewhere to switch between (home) and (industrial) settings:

i.e... +4 / -15 or whatever that would be. Anyone.......?

• Members

ok, well as some of you may or may not have read and earlier thread of mine, i posted my PA issue of how i cant turn it up past 2 without it screaming feedback at me.

i looked into it and it seemed like a new mic and cable would fix this. so i got an SM58 and live wire cable today, tried it out, and now i can only go up to 2 1/2 before it slits my throat with feedback.

Two questions before I can really help you (even though I will try):

1. How loud do you have your mic channel turned up?

2. How close are you standing to the speakers?

what gives? i have a 100W power mixer and 2 100W speakers, and i cant even get close to that. i figure im only getting like 20W out of, seeing as i can only get to 2.

Output is not that simplistic, actually. I'll spare you the insults, since you're new at this, but don't talk like that or people who know things will mock you mercilessly. Just a tip.

so this obviously leaves the speakers and the mixer as the problem. so, should i buy a better mixer or better speakers?

Operator error is most likely the problem here, and it's only because you're ignorant (please don't take offense - it's the truth). There could be something wrong with your PA, for sure, but if you're getting the same results from one of the most common microphones in use today, it could very well be that you're setting it wrong, too.

Here are some guidelines for dealing with cheap PAs:

- Keep the speakers at a good distance from you. If you can point them away from you, that's even better.

- DO NOT crank the individual channels' levels or turn their EQ all the way up. That's guaranteed feedback right there.

- The included speaker cables should be fine. Buy better ones if you like, but the included cables should do what they need to do, and should not affect whether you're feeding back or not.

Brian V.

• Members

A couple of things come to mind:

-How far in distance is your mic from your speakers?

-In relation to volume output, how high is your Mic gain turned up?

Usually feed back occurs (in my experience) due to the monitors/speakers interaction with the Mic, regardless of power output.

Can you reverse *phase* with your mic pre?

• Members

are you using GOOD cables to hookup the speakers with? Or the crappy small ones that it came with..?

I switched mine and it seemed more powerfull.

It shouldn't be the cause of his feedback at all.

But maybe it has a switch or button on it(pa) somewhere to switch between (home) and (industrial) settings:

i.e... +4 / -15 or whatever that would be. Anyone.......?

There's no such switch on his PA (I RTFM). All XLR (microphone) inputs are balanced low-impedance inputs, all 1/4" inputs and outputs are unbalanced and high-impedance.

Brian V.

• Members

A couple of things come to mind:

-How far in distance is your mic from your speakers?

-In relation to volume output, how high is your Mic gain turned up?

I love that we wrote the same thing (essentially)...

These are the big questions that need to be answered before we can figure out whether it's something operational or electrical.

Brian V.

• Members

That switch is for recording or Live adjustment. That way you don't blow up your recording device when you plug into it. so it may not be putting out the full power if it's on "home"/"recording" setting

The recording (RCA/phono jacks) and line outputs on the back are designed for this purpose. The speaker outputs should only ever be hooked to speakers. That's actually true of the vast majority of powered mixers.

Brian V.

• Members

This is your PA, right?

Brian V.

no, i use this http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Phonic-Powerpod-410-S710-PA-Package?sku=630485

i have the master volume maxed and the individual mic line volume only goes to 2 1/2 before the feedback starts. i have both EQ's set to -15 as this yields the most volume, at least for this system. im still using the speaker cables that came with it. i have the mixer and speakers 10+ feet away from me, one facing me as a monitor and the other facing opposite direction. i was able to get it to 4 today with this setup, i was happy about it until we ran through a song, and i realized im to far away from the speakers to hear myself, and am once again drowned out in the rest of the mix. i dont see what i can do to fix this other than buy louder speakers, seeing as how the only way i can get my current speakers loud is if they are far away, which kinda makes them useless seeing as how i cant hear myself. im starting to think i just need to get louder speakers...

• Members

wait, you have the MASTER volume maxed?

ok that is your problem, first, turn EVERYTHING down, then put your mic volume up, say half way, then gradually turn up the master to the desired volume

that should do it

there will be a point when you won't be able to turn the master up anymore due to feedback, but by then it should be plenty loud for you.

• Members

even with good placement, sound could be reflecting off the walls and back into the mic. what size room? as far as placement it didn't sound like how you described it was bad but make sure none of the speakers are not facing any mic. even at an angle can be bad. you don't want the mic to be picking up sound from either speaker. sm58 is a unidirectional cardoid pattern so best sound rejection is directly opposite the top of mic(have the mic tail end face toward speakers).

other tips: set the eq flat to at least at 1st and it looks like you only have low and high eq. might try cutting the highs or lows a drop and see if you can get more volume. also turn off the efx if not already. and only after sorting out feedback issue maybe start with subtle level of efx if so inclined. if there is a hipass filter switch, turn on the hipass filter.

there are also foam things you can get to place the speakers on to isolate the speakers from what its resting on.

id start with mic channel level some like half and start with master volume low and turn up the master volume as much as you can or needed. even everything set up as perfect as you can with that system there is going to be a limit to how loud you can get it due the power amp, speakers, and only hi and low eq which means you can't really "ring out the system" but cutting just the frequency that is feeding back).

hopefully i included some info that will be helpful

• Members

58s feedback easy get a 57 and hold or place it so the end of the mic is facing away from the speaker as much as possible..

I did a solo act and did just what you are doing with one speaker out front and one for me . Never had feeback problems

With a band I am sure you know the usual thing is mains and monitors .

• Members

Fotown - where the heck are ya man, we are all dying to here if this worked
:idk:

well i fooled around again, this time i set up both speakers in opposite coners of the room, to make V shape with me/the mic and the speakers. yea, they were angled towards the mic and not dead on, but i was able to get both the master volume and channel volume up to 5 before the feedback began. we didnt practice with this setup, and i wish we would have, but it still got pretty loud. i still doubt that it would be loud enough for me to hear myself clearly though, even with the speakers being far away for maxed volume, i feel it would be a bit too far

Archived