battle of the budget cabinets...

mlwarriner

• Members

okay, so i'm thinking the peavey cabinet isn't doing it for me. i can't really put a finger on why, i just don't like it as well as i thought i would. so now i'm looking at other arrangements.

currently in consideration are the following cabs/cab combinations..

1. Dr. Bass 2x12 and 2x10 ~$600

2. Avatar 2x12 and 2x10 ~$600

3. Legion Sound 8x10 ~$300

4. Madison 8x10 ~$500

anybody have any experience with the legion sound or madison cabinets? i know about avatar speakers, and have heard many good things about Dr. bass. if i go the 2x12, 2x10 route, it's going to be dr. bass (i like their specs better)...

yeah...

• Members

Well, I can't really tell you anything you don't already know, but I use The Avatar B210/B212 stack myself and I'm quite happy with them. I would like to be able to do a side by side with the Dr. Bass cabs.

As for an 8x10 for $300 or $500............no effing way. You shouldn't be able to get 8 decent 10" bass speakers for that much, let alone put them in a decent cab.

• Members

you can find used Ampeg 8x10's from $300 up , they tend to sell cheap because most folks only need one fridge in their apt. :D But I would go used Ampeg if an 8x10 is what you want and that is your budget . I have a Avatar 4x10 neo myself and Highly recommend them for their proven products and service , I have never played on a Dr. Bass but only hear nice things about them , so #1or 2 would be my choice on your list . ;)

• Members

Originally posted by mlwarriner

if i go the 2x12, 2x10 route, it's going to be dr. bass (i like their specs better)...

Well, I'll build you a 1x10 that plays down to 30 Hz, has a sensitivity of 100dB and weighs 20 pounds for $300.

What, that doesn't sound possible? Well, it isn't, but that doesn't stop me from listing a series of great sounding claimed specs, does it?

I'm not downing the good doctor, but his claimed specs sren't reasonable.

Why not build yur own?

• Members

there is a thread about the steelsound/music suppy center cabs on talkbass.

it seems most people who own them think they are very compairable to avatar.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=184145&highlight=steelsound

they are cheaper and weigh much less than avatar.

im thinking of getting a steelsound 2x12.

i believe its 25lbs lighter than the avatar...

-todd

• Members

Originally posted by burdizzos

I never let any of those thing stop me, especially the third.

Slacker!

:D

between 40+ hours work, being a husband and a daddy, band stuff, carrying a 16 credit hour college load, and playing army one weekend a month, i just don't have the time. i've still got a moses neck and modded SX bass body sitting in the case in the garage waiting to be mated...

• Members

Originally posted by 311IncubusCKY

im thinking of getting a steelsound 2x12.

i believe its 25lbs lighter than the avatar...

-todd

Shouldn't that tell you something?

We played a show with a few bands when I was still with Starfront and the guys opening for us had a bassist using Legion stuff, and guitarists with Madison cabinets. We've played this venue, and the same soundguy was running it who always is (it's his system... flown JBL SR4725X cabinets, two per side, with the matching dual 18" subs on each side of the stage (I don't know the model number of the subs... 4817? They're not made anymore)). They mic'ed the cabs, including the bass cab (a 2x10). It sounded like complete cock ass. When a pro-level JBL system can't help bring the bass out, I see no reason to continue.

I believe that Legion Sound and Madison are the same company. Legion is there solely to sell Madison stuff. If you look at reviews and "testimonials" that they have posted everywhere, they'll say things like "this cab is great, but it's not near the level of celestion, eminence, madison, etc" or "this cab is great, but it's not near the level of ampeg, swr, madison, etc". They basically flaunt the Madison name around with the other big names to make it sound better.

Let's have some fun.

Looking at the specs of the Legion 8x10 now... 2400 watts peak, 40 Hz low frequency response, tuned to 35 Hz, 99dB efficiency? The description says they use 50 oz Madison speakers, while the specs say they're 30 oz Archer speakers. (For comparison, the Avatars use 56-oz and 80-oz depending on the cabinet you choose (Delta or Kappa Pro)). Anyway, that's 133dB pushing it to peak, which would probably destroy the cardboard it's made of. To put that into perspective, an Eden 2x10 cabinet has a rated efficiency of 103dB, with 700 watts peak. That's about 131dB peak, less than a quarter of the size, and half the weight. It'll fit in your car easier and you'll be able to lift it, too.

Ha... things get even better over at the Madison site. Their 8x10 uses their Knight 10" speakers, 50 oz. Voice coils are twice the size though. Peak power lists at 3200 (!) watts @ 104dB efficiency, with a frequency response down to 35 Hz. Wow! Of course it doesn't list if this is -3dB, -10dB, -100dB. Anyway, 3200 watts at 104dB efficiency... that's almost 140dB max! Our buddies at Google give us the fact that a jet engine runs at about 140dB at about 30 meters!

137-140 HUMAN EAR ALL FREQUENCIES ARE PAINFUL -REF.1.1983

140 EXTREMELY DAMAGING TO HEARING NO MATTER HOW SHORT THE TIME EXPOSURE

140 BLAST WIND = U = (PARTICLE VELOCITY) IS 0.49 METERS PER SECOND OR ABOUT 1 MPH

140 HUMAN THROAT AND VOCAL CORD VIBRATION BEGINS -REF.1.1983

What happens if you walk right up to that cabinet playing that loud? 140dB is at 1 meter. Let's cut that down to a foot away (you know you've done it). That gives us about 152dB. And let's now look at the description. From their site, "We test our bass cabinets with twice the power we have them rated at. The Knight woofers will actually handle about 1/3 more power than what we rate them at." What? In other words, they blow them up when they test them? After all, 1/2 is significantly more than 1/3. So now let's add 33% more power, since after all, they can handle it. That gives us 4256 watts peak, or about 155dB.

150 HUMAN SENSATION OF BEING COMPRESSED AS IF UNDERWATER IS OVERWHELMING -REF.1.1983

150 HUMAN SOUND EXPERIMENTS DOWN TO 1 TO 2 HERTZ - REF.13.

152 HUMAN VIBRATION IS PAINUL AND ALSO FELT IN ALL JOINTS -REF.1.1983

153 HUMAN THROAT IS VIBRATING SO HARD IT IS ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE TO SWALLOW -REF.1.1983

154 TOY BALLOON POPPING, DEPENDS ON TYPE AND HOW LARGE AND HARD TO INFLATE -REF.1.1986

155 HUMAN BODY COMPRESSION AND EXPANSION TO VIBRATION IS TO THE

• Members

Originally posted by Zeromus-X

Shouldn't that tell you something?

We played a show with a few bands when I was still with Starfront and the guys opening for us had a bassist using Legion stuff, and guitarists with Madison cabinets. We've played this venue, and the same soundguy was running it who always is (it's his system... flown JBL SR4725X cabinets, two per side, with the matching dual 18" subs on each side of the stage (I don't know the model number of the subs... 4817? They're not made anymore)). They mic'ed the cabs, including the bass cab (a 2x10). It sounded like complete cock ass. When a pro-level JBL system can't help bring the bass out, I see no reason to continue.

I believe that Legion Sound and Madison are the same company. Legion is there solely to sell Madison stuff. If you look at reviews and "testimonials" that they have posted everywhere, they'll say things like "this cab is great, but it's not near the level of celestion, eminence, madison, etc" or "this cab is great, but it's not near the level of ampeg, swr, madison, etc". They basically flaunt the Madison name around with the other big names to make it sound better.

Let's have some fun.

Looking at the specs of the Legion 8x10 now... 2400 watts peak, 40 Hz low frequency response, tuned to 35 Hz, 99dB efficiency? The description says they use 50 oz Madison speakers, while the specs say they're 30 oz Archer speakers. (For comparison, the Avatars use 56-oz and 80-oz depending on the cabinet you choose (Delta or Kappa Pro)). Anyway, that's 133dB pushing it to peak, which would probably destroy the cardboard it's made of. To put that into perspective, an Eden 2x10 cabinet has a rated efficiency of 103dB, with 700 watts peak. That's about 131dB peak, less than a quarter of the size, and half the weight. It'll fit in your car easier and you'll be able to lift it, too.

Ha... things get even better over at the Madison site. Their 8x10 uses their Knight 10" speakers, 50 oz. Voice coils are twice the size though. Peak power lists at 3200 (!) watts @ 104dB efficiency, with a frequency response down to 35 Hz. Wow! Of course it doesn't list if this is -3dB, -10dB, -100dB. Anyway, 3200 watts at 104dB efficiency... that's almost 140dB max! Our buddies at Google give us the fact that a jet engine runs at about 140dB at about 30 meters!

137-140 HUMAN EAR ALL FREQUENCIES ARE PAINFUL -REF.1.1983

140 EXTREMELY DAMAGING TO HEARING NO MATTER HOW SHORT THE TIME EXPOSURE

140 BLAST WIND = U = (PARTICLE VELOCITY) IS 0.49 METERS PER SECOND OR ABOUT 1 MPH

140 HUMAN THROAT AND VOCAL CORD VIBRATION BEGINS -REF.1.1983

What happens if you walk right up to that cabinet playing that loud? 140dB is at 1 meter. Let's cut that down to a foot away (you know you've done it). That gives us about 152dB. And let's now look at the description. From their site, "We test our bass cabinets with twice the power we have them rated at. The Knight woofers will actually handle about 1/3 more power than what we rate them at." What? In other words, they blow them up when they test them? After all, 1/2 is significantly more than 1/3. So now let's add 33% more power, since after all, they can handle it. That gives us 4256 watts peak, or about 155dB.

150 HUMAN SENSATION OF BEING COMPRESSED AS IF UNDERWATER IS OVERWHELMING -REF.1.1983

150 HUMAN SOUND EXPERIMENTS DOWN TO 1 TO 2 HERTZ - REF.13.

152 HUMAN VIBRATION IS PAINUL AND ALSO FELT IN ALL JOINTS -REF.1.1983

153 HUMAN THROAT IS VIBRATING SO HARD IT IS ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE TO SWALLOW -REF.1.1983

154 TOY BALLOON POPPING, DEPENDS ON TYPE AND HOW LARGE AND HARD TO INFLATE -REF.1.1986

155 HUMAN BODY COMPRESSION AND EXPANSION TO VIBRATION IS TO THE

• Members

Steelsound cabs get a lot of respect on talkbass as reasonably good cabs for the money. They use Madison speakers.

The Steelsound 2x12 was reviewed as just barely below Avatar in terms of sound quality, and the price and weight were both considerably lower than Avatar.

That said, I am still a big Avatar fan.

see sig...

• Members

Originally posted by 311IncubusCKY

also there are different "lines" of cabs on on MSC webpage.

they also have aparently changed the qaulity and the new(er) stuff is alot better than the older stuff...

im just going off the reviews in the talkbass thead.

did you even go read it?

-todd

Hey Todd, we gotta hook up sometime! I live in Riverside @ La Sierra and Arlington!

Just before you drop into Norco!

Archived