Is Tina Weymouth the first popular band chick bassist?

Newget

• Members

That's the later Carter Sisters after the Carter Family stopped being a family. :(

The classic Carter Family was a dude by the name of A.P. Carter and two women. That's The Carter Sisters, which was Mother Maybelle, and her daughters.

Note the youngest daughter gets to play bass. Mother Maybelle was a fingerpickin FREAK on the gitbox. She could play rhythm and melody at the same time, and when people listened to her, they thought it was 2 git boxen instead of just her.

And then that little gal on the bass married Johnny Cash and became June Carter Cash.

:p

• Members

Originally posted by Moody Johnny

Most people don't know who Carol Kaye is, but most people have heard her playing. It wasn't until I saw a documentary about her when I learned she played for EVERYONE in the sixties. Easily the most recorded bassist ever.

My guess would be Milt Hinton.

• Members

I'm thinking of bassists that everyone knows from bands everyone knows is what I mean by popular. Like The Who, Pearl Jam, Cream, Coldplay, Sly and the Family Stone, the Rolling Stones, just spitting out generic bands that have had a top 10 hit. So I guess they have to be a member of the touring band with a top ten hit and recognizable as a band member much like Ringo or Bootsy.

• Members

Originally posted by Newget

I'm thinking of bassists that everyone knows from bands everyone knows is what I mean by popular. Like The Who, Pearl Jam, Cream, Coldplay, Sly and the Family Stone, the Rolling Stones, just spitting out generic bands that have had a top 10 hit. So I guess they have to be a member of the touring band with a top ten hit and recognizable as a band member much like Ringo or Bootsy.

No, I don't recall Carol Kaye toured much but she was always there for the studio work.

She has occasional articles in the BP magazine, check her out. You definitely would recognize her stuff. She was there as was Jamerson and Duck Dunn.

Archived