To BEAD or not to BEAD?

The Aardvark

• Members

Originally posted by lug

You have to cut the nut, so to go back you might need to replace it. (I "V" cut the nut on the T-40, and it still works for EADG fine). There will probably be less tension, not more, on the neck.

In that case, maybe it would be better if I got a luthier to do it. Perhaps I could even purchase a second nut (OK this is starting to remind me of prison) and have the luthier cut that one to fit the BEAD strings.

• Members

Originally posted by Ripfence

In that case, maybe it would be better if I got a luthier to do it. Perhaps I could even purchase a second nut (OK this is starting to remind me of prison) and have the luthier cut that one to fit the BEAD strings.

I just used a dremel tool (Mine is a metal nut). If you have a set of files, that would do fine. Replacing a nut is a very simple process if you want to go back. Just buy a new one (less than $5 for a plastic one) and a drop of glue and you are done.

• Members

Using the bottom 4 strings from a 5-string set is the way to go if you want even averag string tension. [Get a 5-string only if you need the huge range] And don't file your nut if you don't have to. Some slots are the right shape to take a fatter string as they are. Even my cheap aria acoustic is tuned BEAD, because our guitarist is tuned down to B and he's currently writing all our riffs.

• Members
Originally posted by 1tallbassguy

Anyone ever tune to DGCF

?

;)

No, but have dropped down to D for a few songs.

This thread has me thinking of doing this as well. The only time I use the G string is when slapping. I typically only use the D string for those first two frets (E and Eb, the latter impossible to get on a standard four, with the former being an uncontrolled open E).

In the church gig, I play frets 1-5 on E and A strings, and frets 1-2 on the G string. The extra low end playing here compared to up the bass (say 6-9 frets) really helps beef up the overrall sound. It would be nice to not have to reach as far (some quick 1-5 two string hops get to me).

Archived