Ok, so you like Genz Benz

Phantasm

• Members

Genz Benz seems to be 'in fashion' here about as much as the 'sansamp plus power amp' was a few years ago. However, I am unable to understand everyone's fascination because I've never actually seen one, never heard one, and I don't know of anywhere that sells one!

I've played Ampeg, Eden, Mesa, GK and SWR. Where does the sound fall in relation to these other amplifiers?

• Members

Originally posted by Jazz Ad

I'd say somewhere between Gallien and Ampeg.

Amps are nice but speakers are fantastic.

They sound deep and plain, even in small cabs.

+1

Never seen one? Just look at the pictures posted here. The amps are absoultely gorgeous and works of art! And for the record, they look even better in person.

Never heard one? Well, I guess you need to, then.

Don't know of anywhere that sells them? Try checking Genz-Benz's website, and if you don't have any luck, try to convince Roger to make a deal with someone in your area. ;)

As JazzAd said, it's between GK and Ampeg. There is coloration, but it's more "depth," like adding in what should've been there to begin with, in my experience. Maybe it's what Genz adds in, or maybe what other amps don't produce? I don't know, but they sound fantastic and the EQ couldn't be much better.

The cabs are amazing. I've only played the Live Sound series (budget line) and they are fabulous. I own the 2x10 and I'll put it up against any 2x10 in its pricerange and then some! It's "classic-sounding" bass with clarity. Punch without rumble. It fills in the mix and cuts through it at the same time.

• Members

Originally posted by Phantasm

d I don't know of anywhere that sells one!

CREATIVE SOUND SHOP LLC

5803 JACKSON STREET EXT

ALEXANDRIA, LA 71303-2046

Phone: 318-448-3010 Fax: 318-448-3969

FIG TREE MUSIC

100A WILLIAM O STUTES ST

LAFAYETTE, LA 70506-7217

Phone: 337-993-8733 Fax: 337-993-8476

www.figtreemusic.com

ZEAGLER MUSIC

1401 NORTH 18TH

MONROE, LA 71201

Phone: 318-322-2621 Fax: 318-329-3973

www.zeaglermonroe.com

• Members

Originally posted by Thunderbroom

CREATIVE SOUND SHOP LLC

5803 JACKSON STREET EXT

ALEXANDRIA, LA 71303-2046

Phone: 318-448-3010 Fax: 318-448-3969

FIG TREE MUSIC

100A WILLIAM O STUTES ST

LAFAYETTE, LA 70506-7217

Phone: 337-993-8733 Fax: 337-993-8476

www.figtreemusic.com

ZEAGLER MUSIC

1401 NORTH 18TH

MONROE, LA 71201

Phone: 318-322-2621 Fax: 318-329-3973

www.zeaglermonroe.com

Unfortunately all of those places are at least a 2 hour drive away. The description "between Ampeg and GK" is appealing though. I've been mulling a new amp, and I'm leaning towards Ampeg, but I'm not sure yet.

• Members

Unfortunately all of those places are at least a 2 hour drive away. The description "between Ampeg and GK" is appealing though. I've been mulling a new amp, and I'm leaning towards Ampeg, but I'm not sure yet.

Head up to Monroe...yeah, I know it's a long haul...and say "Hi" to ezstep. His town is just north.

:)

• Members

I drive that far just to try out stuff on a regular basis. If sound is important to you, you'll do it. ...but I like travel, and I bring a buddy and listen to music on the way too.

• Members

He carries Glockenklang (or however it's spelled.) I've been meaning to really check those out but have put it off because they're really expensive. Generally I don't like to try anything exceptionally expensive because that's how large purchases happen (for example, my Lakland that was purchased during a trip to DisneyWorld...)

• Members

Best overlooked consideration about buying G-B---they stand behind their product 100 percent.

I love my G-B rig, and would buy it again in a second. Jeff Genzler has always been very helpful and has replied to every e-mail I have sent him. This forum seems to be packed with his friends and co-workers, as well...you can't lose.

:cool:

Billy-B

• Members

I got my gbe600 a couple of month's ago, and heres my oppinons. First of all this thing is loud! Paired with my schroeder 1210, with the amp at about 8'oclock, and the volume on my bass full up, things were shaking alittle in my room:D Its a hard amp to describe the tone of. It not as boomy as an ampeg. Its on the bassy side, not not muddy. From what ive used, dont expect an SWR clanky hi-fi sound out of it. When using the tube channel, dont expect grit, i found it just adds some tube warmth (unless maybe i have bad tubes in it?:confused: ). It has an either love it or hate it tone in my oppinion. It is definately colored, but in a good way.

• Members

Originally posted by ezstep

So, where are you living, now. BR?

I am supposed to be in Denham Springs this weekend.

I'm staying in Livingston two towns over, but I go to Gretna on the weekends (of course!)

Actually this week I get to go home wednesday and stay until next week. I've got plenty of repairs to do on the house, and the GB scoping is me getting ready to spend some money that hopefully gets paid for flood damage to gear that was in the studio.

Also since you're headed this way... I'll warn you that the traffic is atrocious!!! It's regular Baton Rouge area traffic x 3 right now.

• Members

Ah, 2 hours isn't so bad.

When I went to NAMM, it was partially to see what kind of gear I like. And it was just basses last time! 2000 miles, man.

But in all truth, after a certain point there are no bad amps. GB is the "in" thing on the forum, but the "in" things on the forum tend to be really nice either overall or great values like SX.

I didn't try one out, however it can't be bad with so much positive.

Try out lots of stuff! Make it a day trip!

• Members

Originally posted by whatsabass?

I'm still kicking, though I've moved to Kamloops and attending TRU. Did you ever buy your new cab?

nope... Band split.

I've been working 50+ hours a week in langley, and actually bought a place there... Move in January.

I'm gonna miss Port Moody. :cry:

Archived