Lyle Lovett

Hotblack

• Members

Years ago I bought a Billy Joel CD (ya I know) but it wasn't Billy Joel on the recording. It had the Billy Joel label and eveything but it deffinetly wasn't Mr. Joel.

The music was actually pretty good...a bit different but quite interesting.

I took the CD back to the store and asked the clerks to listen and tell me if they knew who it was. No one in the store knew.

It turned out to be a Lyle Lovett recording.

My first totally unintentional introduction to the music of Lyle Lovett.

• Members

Yeah, gotta agree with this one. I had the game on as background while I read a book, but when he started singing, I was hanging on every note. For me, they could have skipped the rest of the game and let him keep singing.

• Members

Originally posted by Thumper

His duet with Rickie Lee Jones on 'North Dakota' is so good it's eerie.

The first time I *really* listened to that song, I was driving through a pitch-black night. I cried for a half an hour.

He's one of the great songwriters alive. I love his voice too. And 'Joshua Judges Ruth' is a great-sounding record.

• Members

Originally posted by Hotblack

He sang it last night at the World Series, accompanied by cello. Excellent.

Ditto... excellent is what it was. The cello accompaniment was very tasty, but Lyle with his quirky voice was the clincher.

I've been listening to him since 1990 when his "Large Band" CD first came out. Caught him one night on the old Johnny Carson show and he blew me away singing the blues with that black chick from the album and him with his sequined cowboy suit.

Outstanding stuff.

Archived