upgrade or buy new

hare.29

• Members

Ok, I'm looking for opinions on whether I should upgrade my current bass or buy a new one. I'm in the bargain basement price range and probably only want to spend 300$ at most for a new bass. I play rock and blues at home and only gig at church.

So should I upgrade (and how?)my Rogue bass (lefty, PJ config) or get a new bass?

And yes, I know that rogue isn't very good, but it was a lefty PJ bass for $130.

• Members

What don't you like about your bass?

Is it the overall feel, the sound , the playability, the image it convays?

Or is it just time for a change. Time to start adding to your gear stash.

Maybe you're bored and need a little upgrade project .

Ask yourself these questions and that could help you with your answer.

• Members

Originally posted by zenfascist

You could get one now and upgrade it with new pickups and a new bridge (I'd recommend a Badass II), maybe even swap the neck for a nicer one and upgrade the electronics. Or you could save up for something better.
;)

All an SX Jazz really "needs" is new pots and wiring. The $20 Stew-Mac kit plus a soldering iron and solder from Radio Shack is all you need to transform an SX Jazz into a terrific sounding instrument.

Sure, you could swap the pickups, add a Badass bridge, replace the tuners, etc. But you don't really need to.

Emre

• Members

The sound is too bright for my tastes, and I'm not sure I'm crazy about the neck. I plan on rewiring all the pots soon (lefty-wired tone pots don't work correctly) and I was debating if I should do anything else to the bass at that point.

If I got a new bass it may very well be an SX or a Brice.

Archived