Lakland Owners - Tell Me Why You Like Your Bass?

jeffery.addison

• Members

I have a Lakland 55-94 deluxe, and like bpocall said, the neck is comfortable and fast. I can get close to a Ray, P, and a J sound out of it, plus a few distinct sounds of its own. For my playing style using a lighter touch, i have the board set at a 0.010" deflection @ the 7th fret and the "B" string is 3mm above the 21st fret, G string is 2 mm. Yea, i know...it's tighter than most guitars...:rolleyes:

So you can definately get your board to match your playing with no problems.

Plus i can change the mid frequency in the cavity, and adjust the gain on the pre from the cavity.

Edit: I also had a 55-02, and comparing the 94 and 02 side by side, sonically there was no difference, with my eyes closed i knew which one i was playing by the setup, had the action a bit higher on the 02.

• Members

55-94 Deluxe over here. It'd probably the most comfortable bass that I've ever played -- really well balanced, light and a neck that says, "play me!". The B string is one of the best that I've played, (nice and tight without being overbearing) and the neck is screaming fast. Then there's the tone, ooooh ya!

• Members

Skyline 55-01. Cost me more than I planned - had to get a new neck for it.,.....but Dan Lakin was very helpful on that front!

Now that it has a new neck, it really acts pretty much brand new - so at the end of the day I'm happy!

Nice comfortable bass, good low B - helped no doubt by the 35" scale, but contruction just seems really good. Fret work was pretty good!

Sounds nice - and works for me!

• Members

I have a 55-01 Skyline as well. I think it's a very nice bass. I purchased a Bart NTMB preamp and didn't find it made that much difference, really. I also tried to install it myself, and the stock one is not the same one they use - I sent it off to Lakland, and they fixed it up for me. They were fast and terrific to deal with.

To my ear, it's sort-of a Jazz bass plus, kinda. Sounds really good in the wedding band I play in, versatile, useful. The B-string sounds great, not floppy at all.

A music store near me has a slightly used 55-94 fretless, and that is one of the nicest basses I've ever played. I seriously considered selling all of my other basses to get it. Seeing how that bass has been there for a couple of months, I may still do that.

Their customer support is superior, even for folks like me that bought their lower-end product line. Dan Lakin himself answers emails. I would buy another Lakland product in a second.

Can't recommend Lakland more highly.

• Members

I own Lakland Darryl Jones 5 and I have to agree with all the comments already said about Lakland basses. I also like the smaller body too, since I'm not accustomed to the regular Fender-style body. I used to have a 55-01, and it was a great bass but I couldn't get used to its "non-aggressive" tone.. but I've read Bartolini's seem to be like that in general.

My DJ5 with a J-Retro also gives me a ton of options and a tone I really like!

• Members

Originally posted by flatcat

To my ear, it's sort-of a Jazz bass plus, kinda.

Ok...Question for you. When you say "Jazz Bass Plus" are you referring the line of Jazz Basses that Fender put out in the early 90s without the pickguard that included the kubucki preamp and fender lace sensors?

• Members

The Lakland that I played had one of the most beautiful feeling necks that I've ever had in my hand. The sound was smooth and round. Wonderful basses IMO. Wouldn't trade my Music Man for one though.

I once owned a US plus Jazz and it didn't sound as good. After I replaced the Lace Sensors with active Duncans (remember the ones with the little mid switches?) it was a beast.

• Members

Originally posted by jeffery.addison

Ok...Question for you. When you say "Jazz Bass Plus" are you referring the line of Jazz Basses that Fender put out in the early 90s without the pickguard that included the kubucki preamp and fender lace sensors?

Umm....no. I'm not really that smart about basses. :D

No, I meant it reminds me of a Fender Jazz, but it's a little...extra, a little bolder or maybe rounder-sounding than my regular Jazz. My Jazz Special (80s model with P/J pickups) I put EMGs in, so you can't really compare those.

Just a subjective attempt to describe what they sound like. Sorry if I created some confusion.

• Members

Originally posted by Gruven

I once owned a US plus Jazz and it didn't sound as good. After I replaced the Lace Sensors with active Duncans (remember the ones with the little mid switches?) it was a beast.

We think alike...I currently have two of the US Jazz Bass Plus instruments. I have had the lace sensors yanked out of both and replaced with Bartolinis. They play and sound great. I get more compliments for those two basses then I do for my Czech Spectors, my Yamaha Sheehan or my Carvin 6 String Combined.

• Members

Originally posted by flatcat

Umm....no. I'm not really that smart about basses.
:D

No, I meant it reminds me of a Fender Jazz, but it's a little...extra, a little bolder or maybe rounder-sounding than my regular Jazz. My Jazz Special (80s model with P/J pickups) I put EMGs in, so you can't really compare those.

Just a subjective attempt to describe what they sound like. Sorry if I created some confusion.

No worries...it was probably wishful thinking offering up the question about the Jazz Bass Plus...anything to help cope with the "GAS" :D

• Members

Originally posted by SpaceGhost

Has anyone tried the Jerry Scheff model? With the lipstick pickups? I'm dieing to hear what that beast sounds like!

The Jerry Scheff and the Decade are the only two Laklands I have not played so I am wondering about those as well.

• Members

Originally posted by Monkabutt

The Jerry Scheff and the Decade are the only two Laklands I have not played so I am wondering about those as well.

I'm almost positive that Benny Rietveld (Santana) plays one of those (Scheff).

Archived