My custom bass in the design stage

KovachianOne

• Members

TA DAAAAA!!!

After searching long and far for a five string fretless in a natural finish, I've come up empty handed. So I decided F*** IT, I'm gonna have someone build me one. Well after a couple days of doodling, I've finally penned what will be my custom bass. I found a guy by the name of Dave Pushic whom I want to build it, I just have to free up a lil bit more cash and it gets the green light. Here's what I'm thinking as far as specs:

Scale: 34"

Body: walnut bottom/padauk top

Neck: Thru-body, assym. profile, 3 piece mahogany/purpleheart/mahogany

Fingerboard: macassar or gabon ebony, fretless & lined

Elecronics: volume, bartolini soapbars each w/3 way switching

3 band active EQ

Bridge: ummm...suggestions?

Tuners: whatever Dave wants, me no care.

The headstock shape will be entirely up to Dave, as I want it to be of his design. I feel the headstock is the finishing touch, therefore it's design ultimately belongs to the luthier.

This is 100% KovachianOne designed:thu: Not bad for a first bass eh?

(thumbnail)rjk36xh.th.jpg

• Members
Originally posted by el_duderino676

Why get a custom bass as a first bass? I mean, you haven't really been playing, have you, so you probably don't even know what you like yet.

I don't know, JMO.

I've been playing guitar for 18 years, some of which has been spent noodling around on friend's basses. Even with what little playing time I've had on bass, it's enough for a seasoned guitarist like myself to know what works for me and what doesn't.

• Members

Originally posted by KovachianOne

Well according to what I've seen in the gallery and the testimonial page (couple of clients I've spoken to), the quality is right up there with the best of 'em. His shapes aren't everyone's cup 'o' tea, but the build quality is reportedly top notch.

Keep in mind that the dude is probably not going to put a testimony that says "OMFG this is the biggest pile of {censored}" on his page...

• Members

Originally posted by KovachianOne

I've been playing guitar for 18 years, some of which has been spent noodling around on friend's basses. Even with what little playing time I've had on bass, it's enough for a seasoned guitarist like myself to know what works for me and what doesn't.

Ok, sounds good to me.

• Members

Originally posted by Dark Slide

Keep in mind that the dude is probably not going to put a testimony that says "OMFG this is the biggest pile of {censored}" on his page...

I understand that, but I ask that you keep in mind the customers I've spoken to had nothing but great things to say about him.

Look...No one luthier has been able to please everyone, that is flat out impossible. When I find a luthier that I'm interested in, I contact a few customers to see what they have to say. Whether good or bad, I take note of it. Since I've found a luthier with a good rep, I'm going with him.

If you can tell me of one customer, just one, of his that hated their instrument, I'm all ears.

• Members

So I should move the strap button closer to the 12th fret? Man that's gonna make for a huuuge horn! I appreciate the suggestion, I'm going to make another version and see how that turns out.

The one thing I'm trying to stick to here is that this is my design after all, and I don't want this to look like some Carl Thompson/Ritter ripoff. It's probably looking a little bit that way anyhow, but I at least got the body's foundation down. I think this is the coolest design I've come up with yet!

• Members

You REALLY need to read through this thread, if you want some reviews and experiences with a DP bass from some guys who know.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=204283&page=1&pp=20&highlight=dave+pushic+fiasco

I have never seen a Pushic myself, but my suggestion would be to talk to Marchlewski, or other highly recommended luthier about building your design.

• Members
Originally posted by L-1329

You REALLY need to read through this thread, if you want some reviews and experiences with a DP bass from some guys who know.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=204283&page=1&pp=20&highlight=dave+pushic+fiasco

I have never seen a Pushic myself, but my suggestion would be to talk to Marchlewski, or other highly recommended luthier about building your design.

God dammit. That really sunk my spirits.:cry: Are there ANY luthiers that start around $1500 or so?

• Members
Originally posted by bleepo

:confused:
You're not serious I hope.

Welllll...not literally. I've found a few here and there that sparked my interest, but there was always something about them I didn't like. Besides, I always have and always will want an instrument that is born from my imagination.

• Members

I'd keep the original shape. The 12th fret upper horn is true, but look at the Jerzy Drodz that have them at the 14th fret. My Washburn Taurus T24 has the same body shape as the Jerzy Drodz and it is a dream to play, light weight, fast neck and also at the 14th fret. Your shape has a natural place for the heel of your hand. I think you ought to patent it.

Archived