What the heck ... here's a new one.

MrJoshua

• Members

Originally posted by MrJoshua

closed it?
:confused:

more likely replaced the existing playlist :p

(serves someone right for clicking blindly... next time it could be tubgirl or the naked fat internet guy)

Killer! few odd tempo timing things.... but a killer tune :thu:

• Members

Yeah, that one is all me. :)

bassman - I don't know why you can't right-click and save it. :confused: It should be downloadable with no problem. I'm not sure what the issue is. :(

T. Alan - thanks! :) My engineering is ... well, it could generally use some work. ;) I spent a little more time on this one than I normally do, and I dropped the bass back in the mix and relied more on my tone than volume to keep it audible. I'm very happy with the results.

Since you asked, I'll just rundown the whole setup. :)

My recording setup is a spare bedroom in my trailer (yes, I live in a trailer. In Alabama. I know, I know...). I have a home-built Windows XP PC with a Digi001 running ProTools LE. My monitors are Alesis M-1 Actives, and I like them a lot. :) And I use a set of Sony MDR-7506 headphones for tracking, bought because of the recommendations on the recording forum here - a very useful place to browse and ask questions, I must say.

First I recorded the rhythm guitar part on a Peavey Falcon (strat-copy) to a click track (man, do I love how easy it is to set up a click track in ProTools), through an Epiphone Galaxie 10 tube combo with an SM-57 on it. I record rhythm guitar first because I tend to want drums down before bass, and I don't like doing drums first because it's too easy for me to get lost. I'm still not a very good drummer, and if I stop thinking about playing the drums and start trying to do too much counting in my head I mess up.

Next, drums. My drummer has a Pearl Export kit. The nice part about practicing at my place is all the gear is here for me to use whenever I want. ;) I have a Shure Beta 52-A on the kick, and two AKG C-430 small-diaphragm condensors mounted to the high toms (one to each side, so the first C-430 picks up the snare, hi-hat, crash, and high tom; the second picks up mid tom, floor tom, ride, crash, china, and splash). These little mics are awesome, especially considering Musician's Friend sells them in pairs for $199. While I would tweak the drums a little differently if I could mic each individual drum, I'm in general very pleased with the overall drum sound I get with just three mics.

After the drums I laid down the bass track. I have a Warwick Corvette Standard 5-string, and I plug into a SansAmp BassDriver DI and turn OFF the tube-emulation/EQ section. I just use it as a straight DI, and record flat into the board. Some songs I give it a little low-mids boost, but this one I pretty much left it alone IIRC.

Vocals. I just got a Rode NT1-A, but this song was recorded just before it arrived, so the vocals here are just an SM-57. I EQ out a little of the low range in my voice and add a touch of treble, plus reverb.

Then the lead guitar. The lead part here is the first thing I recorded with a guitar I just bought, an Ibanez SZ520QM dual-humbucker beast. The amp/mic is the same as before, but the Ibanez must have a much hotter output than my Peavey because it really makes the tubes in the combo open up and scream. I'm extremely happy with this guitar/amp combination.

And then I sit down and mix it. :) A little compression, a bit of EQ on the vocals (and sometimes I bump the mids on the bass, as I said) and some reverb on the vocals and lead guitar, and that's about it other than setting levels.

• Members

Originally posted by MrJoshua

I spent a little more time on this one than I normally do, and I dropped the bass back in the mix and relied more on my tone than volume to keep it audible. I'm very happy with the results.

I've listened to it a few more times since my first impression (it's a great tune!). I really dig it :thu:

Archived