I don't get it

mounds

• Members

Okay, so I've got this jazz bass. I just restrung the thing maybe 2 weeks ago or so with D'Addario nickel wound strings. The G-string at the 4-6th frets has absolutely no sustain at all. I pluck the string and it goes for maybe 1 second then stops.

all the other strings at that fret are just fine. I've adjusted the relief on the neck, i've raised the saddle all the way to make sure it wasn't fret buzz, but it still has no sustain at all.

my question is this:

does this sound like an instrument issue or a string issue?

i'm wondering if it's the nut or something else.

thanks.

• Members

Sounds like an instrument issue common to all Fender-based designs.

The G string on Fender P and J basses typically has a deadspot between the 4th and 6th fret. It is not a problem, per se, with your instrument so much as the design 50 years ago.

There isn't going to be any way to really cure it just with a setup. You can reduce it, but not cure it. A string-through-body bridge helps reduce it a lot, as does a much heavier bridge ala the Badass II.

• Members

Originally posted by takeout

Yep

Theories abound; I'm partial to the one about asymmetrical string pull due to the shape of the headstock being the culprit.

I think its a combination of things. Headstock shape could be part of it, asympathetic string vibration behind and in front of the nut at just that frequency cancelling it out, neck joint solidity, the way the truss rod is mounted before tightening, etc.

On any give bass, it could be one, all, or any number of these or more that I'm not aware of.

• Members

Originally posted by mounds

Okay, so I've got this jazz bass. I just restrung the thing maybe 2 weeks ago or so with D'Addario nickel wound strings. The G-string at the 4-6th frets has absolutely no sustain at all. I pluck the string and it goes for maybe 1 second then stops.

all the other strings at that fret are just fine. I've adjusted the relief on the neck, i've raised the saddle all the way to make sure it wasn't fret buzz, but it still has no sustain at all.

my question is this:

does this sound like an instrument issue or a string issue?

i'm wondering if it's the nut or something else.

thanks.

I've found dead frets on the three basses I've had. Fourth and six on my Squire P-Bass and my American Precision... the best of the three is my short scale SX! Only a slight deadness at the 12 fret on D.

• Members

Originally posted by Sixgun77

None of the 4 I've had had this problem. 'Course, I've only had P's, never a Jazz.

My own P bass had this problem, and still does. Its not a Fender, but it is a direct knock-off.

The deadspot is much less pronounced on my Reverend, but still there (which is why I attribute it to the design; the Reverend has a heavier bridge already and good truss rod and neck attachment).

I've also noticed that, often, dead spots DON'T show up until you go to hit that note in a band.

• Members
Originally posted by sunburstbasser

My own P bass had this problem, and still does. Its not a Fender, but it is a direct knock-off.

The deadspot is much less pronounced on my Reverend, but still there (which is why I attribute it to the design; the Reverend has a heavier bridge already and good truss rod and neck attachment).

I've also noticed that, often, dead spots DON'T show up until you go to hit that note in a band.

Ah. I've had stock fender bridges on all but 1, and all 4 basses were either Fender or Squire. I must just be really lucky.

• Members

Originally posted by Sixgun77

Ah. I've had stock fender bridges on all but 1, and all 4 basses were either Fender or Squire. I must just be really lucky.

Lucky, or maybe they just aren't pronounced enough to really notice. I didn't know my Reverend had a deadspot until I'd owned it for 2 years, and with new strings that goes away as well.

Archived