P Bass vs. Music Man

Devinstation

• Members

So I've finally decided between these two. Now I know the Music Man is more aggresive, but I've been playing Precisions for a long time, and I am very comfortable with them. I wouldn't like to compromise my playing to go to a different style Bass, the Music Man's neck is a little awkward for me and I can't play as fast or accuratly on it, but I'm sure I could get used to it. Are there any brands of P Bass that sound extra aggresive, or pickups to drop in there to help them sound so?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

A maple neck, a high mass bridge and a pickup can do alot of changing. ;)

I can get a pretty edgy tone out of my p-bass with a rosewood fretboard and bent metal bridge though. You might want to think about how you play and maybe make some changes etc etc.

• Members
Originally posted by Devinstation

Only problem is Sterlings are way way way out of my price range. I might just look into getting a used SUB.

go used, i saw a used Sterling at Guitar Center last week for like $700.

• Members

Originally posted by Devinstation

So I've finally decided between these two. Now I know the Music Man is more aggresive, but I've been playing Precisions for a long time, and I am very comfortable with them. I wouldn't like to compromise my playing to go to a different style Bass, the Music Man's neck is a little awkward for me and I can't play as fast or accuratly on it, but I'm sure I could get used to it. Are there any brands of P Bass that sound extra aggresive, or pickups to drop in there to help them sound so?

Apples-n-oranges. One is not better than the other. They are just colors in the crayon box along with Jazz basses & Rics. Red isn't better than blue. It depends on what your trying to paint. I have both, a P & a pair of Music Man basses. One does not replace the other. One compliments the other.

• Members

Originally posted by T. Alan Smith

Apples-n-oranges. One is not better than the other. They are just colors in the crayon box along with Jazz basses & Rics. Red isn't better than blue. It depends on what your trying to paint. I have both, a P & a pair of Music Man basses. One does not replace the other. One compliments the other.

Why don't you have a Jazz and a Ric?

:p

• Members

In good time my friend.
:D
Actually, the 'Ray is handling the Ric duties fine for now. A Jazz will prolly be next. So far, that Darryl Jones Skyline 5er is in the lead.
:thu:

Why the Jones over the Osbourne?

Curious here.

• Members

Originally posted by illidian

Why the Jones over the Osbourne?

Curious here.

Something about the DJ just turns me on. It's not the binding & inlays. I think it's the funky body shape ...and the fact that it's so comfy while being so funky. I was really impressed with how good it sounded passive as well.

• Members

Something about the DJ just turns me on. It's not the binding & inlays. I think it's the funky body shape ...and the fact that it's so comfy while being so funky. I was really impressed with how good it sounded passive as well.

Just tell me to go play both for myself! :o

The local Lakland dealer doesn't carry the DJ or the JO. The MM/J (Barts, no pickguard) sounded very nice, though. :mad:

• Members

Originally posted by illidian

Just tell me to go play both for myself!
:o

The local Lakland dealer doesn't carry the DJ or the JO. The MM/J (Barts, no pickguard) sounded very nice, though.
:mad:

Yeah, I'd be all over a standard Lakland if I didn't already own 2 'Rays. However, like a G&L L2000 & 2500, they're a jack of all trades, master of...being a jack of all trades. :D

• Members

Yeah, I'd be all over a standard Lakland if I didn't already own 2 'Rays. However, like a G&L L2000 & 2500, they're a jack of all trades, master of...being a jack of all trades.
:D

if I could I find my self with like a skyline and Labella's :)

Archived