Warmoth project - neck shims?

mench

• Members

my warmoth project is well and truly on its way now - had a rehearsal with it last night and it's going pretty well

It's the neck from my p-bass which I never played, with a Warmoth jazz body and dimarzio model-J pickups... I need to get some decent photos to stick up here soon (white body with blue racing stripes)

Anyway, the action isn't too bad, but I'd like to lower it a little, but unfortunately I have the saddles dropped all the way and it's not getting any lower. The neck's about dead straight, so I think I need to shim the neck to tilt back a little so I have some degree of adjustment at the bridge, and I'll probably have to take a little bit of tension out of the truss rod. Am I on the right track here?

I've read up a little on it and most places recommend a business card or similar folded over once or twice. I'm not sure about this, especially after managing to get a really nice tight fit in the neck pocket... surely sticking paper in between the neck and body isn't good for tone?

• Members

So did you just use one feeler gauge against the bridge end of the pocket (assuming you're also tilting backwards)

wouldn't metal make a big gouge in your pocket/neck heel? I was thinking about a thin piece of a hard wood (probably jarrah which is a local wood, very very hard)

• Members

Originally posted by mench

So did you just use one feeler gauge against the bridge end of the pocket (assuming you're also tilting backwards)

wouldn't metal make a big gouge in your pocket/neck heel? I was thinking about a thin piece of a hard wood (probably jarrah which is a local wood, very very hard)

Wood would work fine if you can get it cut perfectly thin.

Like I said, it doesnt take much to shim the neck.

Archived