That WATT rating thing... or what is loud enough !

The Unknown

• Members

Hi there !

Yup I'm looking for a new combo. I actually would prefer not to, but my hurting back calls for it.

I never used anything less then 200 watts RMS, and used an SVT-CL with it's 8x10 for years (don't worry, I still have it !), so I'm a bit confused about that watt thing.

I hear people raving about small amps such as the Gallien-Krueger Microbass which delivers around 100 watts RMS with it's internal speaker... which I wonder if it's loud enough only to be heard with a drum (so imagine what it would be within my new 2 bass players and a drummer project). And there's these Ampeg Portabass 2x8 combos that are supposed to deliver 200 watts and that are even smaller then my 15 watt Fender Blues Jr guitar amp !!!

Anybody can turn the light on for me ??? What's really worth the look these days and how much power do I really need for band practice purposes, considering all the new technology out there ??

God I feel old and I'm not 30 yet !

• Members

If you are already complaining about lugging heavy stuff around, I'd stay away from a combo. If you are playing with a band a loud combo is going to be one heavy unit. Look into a head and a good cab. Seperate and smaller loads to carry.

• Members

Originally posted by L-1329

If you are already complaining about lugging heavy stuff around, I'd stay away from a combo. If you are playing with a band a loud combo is going to be one heavy unit. Look into a head and a good cab. Seperate and smaller loads to carry.

Thing is I all ready got a great stack : Ampeg SVT-CL and it's 8x10 cab... I don't wanna spend the amount that would cost another stack... I'm sure there's a combo under 86 pounds that'll do the job !

• Members

Originally posted by The Unknown

Thing is I all ready got a great stack : Ampeg SVT-CL and it's 8x10 cab... I don't wanna spend the amount that would cost another stack... I'm sure there's a combo under 86 pounds that'll do the job !

banghead.gif

The only thing I would consider is a Ampeg BA15, SWR Redhead or an Eden Metro, but you'd still need and extension cabinet for a large gig or run to the house speakers.

• Members

get yorkville , i love their stuff. they've got a great warranty, amazing sound, reliability, and best of all, they're made here in canada.:D i have the XM200, it apparently weighs 60.6lbs. its plenty loud enough to keep up with drums, and a couple of guitars, i run it at like 3. i think i paid $600 CAN new. they also have the XM100 at 50.5lbs. i think it would be loud enough too. they've both got a single 15, or the xm200 you can get 2 10s

• Members

Originally posted by 4string

banghead.gif

The only thing I would consider is a Ampeg BA15, SWR Redhead or an Eden Metro, but you'd still need and extension cabinet for a large gig or run to the house speakers.

Large gigs = borrow someone's minivan = AMPEG SVT-CL and 8x10 cab (aka. King of amps !)

I'm only worrying about practice volume.

Merci ! Franco or just happy to practice what you learn in french class ?

• Members

Large gigs = borrow someone's minivan = AMPEG SVT-CL and 8x10 cab (aka. King of amps !)

I'm only worrying about practice volume.

Merci ! Franco or just happy to practice what you learn in french class ?

I lived on the Ontario Quebec border for 8 years. I went to a french immersion junior high school. I still speak a little but only enough to get me thrown in jail.

• Members

Originally posted by Xanadu-PyRo

get
yorkville
, i love their stuff. they've got a great warranty, amazing sound, reliability, and best of all, they're made here in canada.
:D
i have the XM200, it apparently weighs 60.6lbs. its plenty loud enough to keep up with drums, and a couple of guitars, i run it at like 3. i think i paid $600 CAN new. they also have the XM100 at 50.5lbs. i think it would be loud enough too. they've both got a single 15, or the xm200 you can get 2 10s

I've used Yorville stuff in the past. My first serious amp was a Bloc250B, a 1x15 combo that was spitting 250 watts. Pretty cool actually.

I might give a shot at the 2x10 combo.

• Members

I guess speaking french in Calgary can be dangerous...

Not really, alot of the people I know speak french and empathize with the alienation that takes place between your heritage and what the federal government tries to jam you with.

• Members

Originally posted by Xanadu-PyRo

get
yorkville
, i love their stuff. they've got a great warranty, amazing sound, reliability, and best of all, they're made here in canada.
i have the XM200, it apparently weighs 60.6lbs. its plenty loud enough to keep up with drums, and a couple of guitars, i run it at like 3. i think i paid $600 CAN new. they also have the XM100 at 50.5lbs. i think it would be loud enough too. they've both got a single 15, or the xm200 you can get 2 10s

The XM100 is pretty lame in my opinion, but the XM200 is {censored}in killer. Can drive a 4 ohm extension cab as well (or 2 8 ohm extension cabs)!

• Members

Originally posted by Craigv

Doesn't Genz-Benz make a pretty decent couple of 200-250w combos?

And you'll be heard with an Eden combo. They are loud.

Ampeg BA-115 or BA210 are loud enough for practice.

Hartke Kickbacks are even decent band rehearsal/small gig amps. Really.

I'll have to check out these Genz-Benz... haven't had the chance yet. The Ampegs, aside from the Portabass series, aren't lighter then my current combo, an Ampeg B2 (1x15, 200 watts RMS without extension cab, 350 watts with one).

• Members

Originally posted by The Ox

The XM100 is pretty lame in my opinion, but the XM200 is {censored}in killer. Can drive a 4 ohm extension cab as well (or 2 8 ohm extension cabs)!

yeah i never played the XM100. and yeah the XM200 is awesome, i was going to buy a fender bassman 200, but it was like $500 more and didnt sound as good.

Archived