Does anybody else hate hi-hats?

der oxenrig

• Members

I don't know why, but with every drummer i've ever played with, i've hated when they used the hi-hat. To me, it just sounds wrong for the music we play. It just makes it sound way too "coolguy" for us.

Anybody else feel this way, or am I just in the minority?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by theoriz

I love to hear hi hat, as I love hearing everything else played correctly. It's essential to have in any beat. Parhaps your drummer sucked?

Why is it essential? Keith Moon NEVER used a hi-hat. Maybe i've been listening to The Who for too long? :confused::o

• Members

Originally posted by theoriz

No he did use hihat my friend. He liked to hit everything else just as much tho.
:)

If he did, he just left it open and used it as a crash, usually.

What really pisses me off is when drummers start doing the "bum-chit, a bum-bum-chit" beat like in Another One Bites the Dust. That beat annoys me so much, and so many of them will do it!!! :mad:

• Members

Originally posted by The Ox

I don't know why, but with every drummer i've ever played with, i've hated when they used the hi-hat. To me, it just sounds wrong for the music we play. It just makes it sound way too "coolguy" for us.

Wow. Doood, you soooo need to get out and broaden your musical horizon. There are drummers who plain suck and drummers who can make any set sound absolutely beautiful. I'm guessing that, provided you keep playing and improving, your opinion of hi-hats will change rather quickly.

• Members

I can sorta see where you're coming from..... but I'm definitely not there with you. If someone doesn't know how to work a set of hats properly, then it's going to sound like {censored}. It's a much more difficult and complex skill than just banging on a crash cymbal (which I like).

• Members

If you had a drummer who knows how to play his hats, you wouldn't hate them.

That being said, I totally understand why you think you think that.

I know when I play drums, and I'm playing the ride symbol, switching off to the hi-hat just makes it sound whimpy and stupid. And doesn't seem to fit in with the music.

But then, when my drummer, who can actually play drums, plays, it sounds awesome :D and he knows exacly how to play the hi-hats and make them fit in with the rest of the kit just fine.

Another issue to look at is maybe the kit has a really nice ride/crash and {censored}ty hats?

• Members

Originally posted by The Ox

I should clarify: I don't mind hi-hats in most songs, but I hate playing with drummers that use hi-hats, because it just sounds completely out of place to me.

...and there are a ton of bass players who play things that sound completely out of place. It's all about musicianship.

• Members

Hi Hats are essential. Even if you use them as a crash, you still use them. :confused:

You can make about 200 different sounds with HHs. I was just listening to some music on the way home today and the guy never hit the HHs more than twice in a row on one song. It was very cool and you didn't even know he was playing them.

I think open HHs being beat to hell (think Dave Grohl) sounds a lot better than tightly closes weak hits, but everthing has it's place.

Yo.

• Members

That's like having someone come to me and tell me they hate the sound of the D string. Or something.

Hi-hats are part of the instrument, and of course can be used wrongly as can any other instrument. However when used well, they can sound fantastic. Most metal drummers don't know how to use it, they just whack on it ceaselessly. But when used in some double-time with variations of pedalling and accents, it can sound brilliant. Case in point: the intro of Iron Maiden - Wasted Years.

Archived