Your opinions/advice wanted: a 'Gig Rig' for shivvy

SHIVmongrel

• Members

alright, I'm moving along since taking up bass last summer...as a guitar player for 13 years, i don't imagine i'll ever give it up entirely, but from here on out, i'm concentrating on my bass...i recently had the chance to jam bass with an old friend on the kit, and without going into detail, it was one of those life-altering experiences etc...

so...here i am:

fender jazz w/ TI flats

old ampeg SVTII

old ampeg 810

...but it's too large to load into my wife's car and take on these trips for jams, and i'm currently rehabilitating for a herniated disc, so moving it in and out of the house is out of the question for now

i'm about to start auditioning for some gigs, mainly R&B, classic rock (i imagine playing JPjones:), i still play with the old band (very melodic rock fusion)...i want an amp and cab that i can load into the trunk easily and here are some words to describe what i'm looking for:

warm, musical, tube sound

more bottom than what i have now

lightweight (as compared to the svt)

considering i lean toward more of the older motown sound (at least trying to cop it) i'd prefer either a 15 or 12" speaker for some fatter low end

i don't like piercing highs, and i have no trouble cutting through as long as the volume is there...realistically, i'll be playing through a direct box for most gigs i imagine, so simple practice volume with a medium loud drummer is sufficient

i'm not so sure the power section need be tube, so tube pre with ss power may work

what do you recommend?

• Members

Also consider other ways of moving your gear besides brute strength--ie. a hand truck or aluminum breakdown cart like what UPS drivers use. Even for moving a head, definitely.

Consider Jazz Ad's powered monitor route too. Or you can always pay a bazillion dollars for a Walter Woods amp. :D Ka-ching!

• Members

interesting ideas...this head is a heavy sob, but i suppose i could move it with another set of hands

maybe a pair of 112 neos or even a 115 would do the trick, it'd be lighter than my head:D

maybe if i bought a 115, i could play thru that alone and also have the option to run it alongside the 810...

good ideas, i'm just not sure if this head isn't too bulky and heavy for frequent car rides...but you're absolutely right, it's the sound:)

• Members

Originally posted by sunburstbasser

Sell it all and get a Genz Benz rig?

Otherwise I'd be looking at a bassy 4x10 or other big-speakered cab. An Eden 4x10 would suffice, I'd think, for your desires.

On the cheap, can't go wrong with an Avatar 2x12. I'd go for the pro line for maximum low end.

thanks man:)

i'll keep the ampeg forever no matter what...but i would like a smaller head to use as well...is the genz benz something that will sound warm and musical?

• Members

Originally posted by BigPigPeaches

+1 on the Jazz Ad and catphish route...Find a preamp that you like and run it into a powered monitor, and let the sound guy do the rest of the work. I only recently realized that my 410HLF is just fighting with the house mix.

If you're playing through nice systems with sound guys who you trust this can be a really great idea. I'd never give up my rig and devote myself completely to a powered monitor though, there are way too many situations where a bass rig is called for. And heck, if he's already got a nice head, why doesn't he just get a 210 or something like that?

• Members

Originally posted by Emprov

If you're playing through nice systems with sound guys who you trust this can be a really great idea. I'd never give up my rig and devote myself completely to a powered monitor though, there are way too many situations where a bass rig is called for. And heck, if he's already got a nice head, why doesn't he just get a 210 or something like that?

Good point. You could use a 210 as a powered monitor if you run it low enough.

Have you always been smart?;)

Archived