Anyone tried a headphone amp?

txpitdog

• Members

Anyone here tried one of those walkman type headphone amps that allows you to play through headphones? I'm gonna be a daddy soon and don't want to have to give up playing when the baby is sleeping (which is probably the only time I'll actually have time to play). The reviews were mixed on musiciansfriend.com, but I'm not looking for top of the line, just something that'll let me play without waking the young'n.

Any suggestions on which one to get?

• Members

here is what I do...

iTunes/crap soundblaster into mixer, then I use either sony mdr76 (uncomfortable, but sound nice) or KRK monitors. The mixer has everything else plugged into it, so I treat the soundblaster as an input. Music at the click of a button.

As for playing, bass Podxt (again into the mixer) which I love. Use it to record too. If you see where I am going, I can now play along with my whole library. Much better than a stack of cds that I would always kick by mistake.

Best set up I have had for headphone listening, and bass playing.

This set up also works great with my 10 month old, she doesn't have to hear my sloppy playing.

:)

• Members

looks rad

Cafe%20Walter%20HA1.jpg

The Cafe Walter HA-1A Headphone Practice Amplifier is now available at Bass Northwest! It is a U.S. handmade simple but high fidelity instrument amplifier, designed to allow you to practice your electric instrument through headphones rather than out loud. Your skills will improve because listening to the instrument in this way points out every little defect in your playing. There are no tone controls, effects loops, enhance knobs or other electronic gadgetry that will change the real sound of your instrument. The HA-1A tells you what you sound like, not what you wish you sounded like. You can plug a CD player, metronome, etc. into the aux input on the front of the unit; and you can plug a tuner (or a mixer, recording device or somebody else's HA-1A) into the aux output jack on the back of the unit. The HA-1A comes with an AC adapter included and also operates with a pair of 9V alkaline batteries with a battery life of approximately 20 to 30 hours practice time. The Cafe Walter HA-1A headphone amplifier is on sale for only

• Members

Originally posted by lug

If you can afford it, Korg's Pandora's Box. Effects, drum patterns sampler, tuner, cd input ans a whole lot more. Size of a pack of cigarettes.

Lug, he's just given birth you think he will be able to afford anything?

If so, I agree about the Tascam Bass Trainer. I have one and it is great. It is also considerably less than the Korg, which is also very nice. :thu:

• Members

Originally posted by hawkhuff

Lug, he's just given birth you think he will be able to afford anything?

If so, I agree about the Tascam Bass Trainer. I have one and it is great. It is also considerably less than the Korg, which is also very nice.
:thu:

Isn't there like a million dollar prize for the first guy to give birth? Funds should be no problem!

• Members

Originally posted by lug

Isn't there like a million dollar prize for the first guy to give birth? Funds should be no problem!

Well, if HE gave birth he would never have GAS ever again and he would certainly be worth more than a mill..

I use my TASCAM with batteries but I also use the AC adapter. The Tascam has five or six different effects which makes it one sweet headphone amp and bass trainer for looping bass parts if you wish to learn them.

• Members

I bought one of those ZOOM 501 series stomp boxes some years ago as a practice unit for my guitar but it works just as good for bass through headphones. It is one of those jobs with all kinds of programmable effects and has like 36 different presets you can program. Not a good unit to play live through an amp, but is a great practice unit with headphones. Uses 4 AA batteries or adapter.

Plus- it has the best tuner that I have ever used and I own several.

Plus plus- it cost all of about 70 bucks new a few years ago and can be picked up for dirt cheap used.

• Members

Originally posted by bassesofalessergod

looks rad

Cafe%20Walter%20HA1.jpg

The Cafe Walter HA-1A Headphone Practice Amplifier is now available at Bass Northwest! It is a U.S. handmade simple but high fidelity instrument amplifier, designed to allow you to practice your electric instrument through headphones rather than out loud. Your skills will improve because listening to the instrument in this way points out every little defect in your playing. There are no tone controls, effects loops, enhance knobs or other electronic gadgetry that will change the real sound of your instrument. The HA-1A tells you what you sound like, not what you wish you sounded like. You can plug a CD player, metronome, etc. into the aux input on the front of the unit; and you can plug a tuner (or a mixer, recording device or somebody else's HA-1A) into the aux output jack on the back of the unit. The HA-1A comes with an AC adapter included and also operates with a pair of 9V alkaline batteries with a battery life of approximately 20 to 30 hours practice time. The Cafe Walter HA-1A headphone amplifier is on sale for only

:D

I read the same blurb about it (very cool looking, btw) at a different website. Why don't they just come out and say...

"buy this headphone amp to see how bad you SUCK!

• Members

Originally posted by mahatma

I bought one of those ZOOM 501 series stomp boxes some years ago as a practice unit for my guitar but it works just as good for bass through headphones. It is one of those jobs with all kinds of programmable effects and has like 36 different presets you can program. Not a good unit to play live through an amp, but is a great practice unit with headphones. Uses 4 AA batteries or adapter.

Plus- it has the best tuner that I have ever used and I own several.

Plus plus- it cost all of about 70 bucks new a few years ago and can be picked up for dirt cheap used.

Whoops !!-

That was a 505 stomp box- and i see the new ones are selling on zzounds for around 60 bucks. American.

yytfgr

Archived