PV Basic 112 using a 16 ohm ext. cabinet?

snakum

• Members

I just bought my first real bass amp today, a Peavey Basic 112, and though it seems to be loud enough for the kind of small-club gigs I play, I want to run one of my guitar cabs as an extension cabinet.

The speaker in the Basic 112 is an 8 ohm PV Blue Marvel, whereas the speaker in my Classic 30's extension cab is a 16 ohm Blue Marvel (I run Weber Blue Dogs or Greenbacks in all my guitar amps). I'm not worrying about eventually destroying the 16 ohm Blue Marvel, because I have owned five Classic 30s and two Classic 50s and I have a room full of PV Blue Marvel speakers. I am worried about the amp, though.

It is my understanding that a solid state amp can run a higher speaker impedance with no problems whatsoever, but that a lower impedance than specified can possibly cause expensive repairs. Correct?

The Basic 112 has an 8 ohm speaker, the cab has a 16 ohm speaker, even though the math escapes me (8 and 16 splits for 12 ohms, total impedance?) it seems I will be fine.

Am I missing anything?

I should be able to run this until the speaker explodes from the low frequencies (I have plenty) or until I get my Mark VII or Firebass rig together, without damaging the amplifier, correct?

• Members

I knew sump'n was wrong somewhere. :(

It's about the heaviest bass combo I can carry now that I'm old and feeble, but one won't be enough, even with an extension cabinet, on those nights when everything's clicking and the band keeps getting louder and louder. If I can find another one cheap, I'll run two until I can put together a pro rig.

Have'n a blast with two less strings than usual. :D

• Members

No ... wait a minute ....

The manual says an 8 ohm extension cab is needed to yield 4 ohms at 75 watts (50 watt without the ext cab), so with the extension speaker jack tapped, the power amp is looking for a minimum of 4 ohms, right?

I'm so confused. :confused:

• Members

Originally posted by snakum

No ... wait a minute ....

The manual says an 8 ohm extension cab is needed to yield 4 ohms at 75 watts (50 watt without the ext cab), so with the extension speaker jack tapped, the power amp is looking for a minimum of 4 ohms, right?

I'm so confused.
:confused:

That's right... if you're manual says you're cool at 4 ohms, then you're cool at 5.whatever, too :thu:

• Members

That's not the manual I have. Specs also in last year's Monitor magazine. Mine is the latest 'red print' version. 50 watts, with 75 watts at 4 ohms with external speaker.

As I'm learning more and more about it, I think it will be plenty loud with a good extension cab. I have it rattling the windows here with my Classic extension cabinet. Peavey makes a matching 15" cab that out to do the trick nicely. :)

Archived