D'Addario Cryos?

Peaveyherman

• Members

I assume those are the ones that have been treated cryogenically?

I'm gonna say that cryogenic treatments were all the rage for everything from strings to gun barrels in the mid 90s, but I don't think the treatment actually made a noticeable difference in most instances.

For good growl, anything made of stainless steel should work well for starters.

I like Everly B-52s personally, and SIT strings as well. Dean Markley/D'Addario are good but I'm less experienced with them.

• Members

I'm gonna say that cryogenic treatments were all the rage for everything from strings to gun barrels in the mid 90s, but I don't think the treatment actually made a noticeable difference in most instances.

Thanks for the reply and info.

I live close to the SIT string factory (or distribution center?),which makes them one of the lowest priced strings by default,though i 've never actually used them.

The only other 5 string set i've used were Ernie Balls,but i really can't make myself even try to like them for a number of reasons.I usually prefer DR HI beams,but just wanted to collect some ideas before i actually buy anything.

• Members

Luke: "Dean Markley Blue Steels. You've heard of 'em?"

Obi Wan (sitting on a rock with '62 Fender Precision): "Now that's a string I haven't had to change in long time - a longgg time."

Scene fades with Obi Wan slapping the E causing a rock slide which buries the Sand People.

• Members

Originally posted by bruto

Luke: "Dean Markley Blue Steels. You've heard of 'em?"

Obi Wan (sitting on a rock with '62 Fender Precision): "Now that's a string I haven't had to change in long time - a longgg time."

Scene fades with Obi Wan slapping the E causing a rock slide which buries the Sand People.

HA!LOL

I take it you've had some...experiance ... with Blue steels?:D

• Members

I used Blue Steels Mediums for quite a while on all my basses, 4's & 5's. They got kind of hard to find locally, so I switched over to DR Low Riders (45-105) on my 4's and DR Long Necks (45-125) on my 5 string.

Both Blue Steels and DR's will give you the punchy growl you are looking for. It's just easier for me to find DR's locally.

• Members

I've used Blue Steels on everything from Bass to guitar and even an acoustic guitar.

They have a very disctinct sound, though I 'm not sure I'd call in a growl.

I used to like them alot when I played in a metla band. Sounded real good with a pick too.

• Members

The Blue Steels have mad overtones rolling off them. If you dig that, you'll dig them. I eventually moved to nickels and am happy there, Ernie Ball Slinkies or more likely for me, Rotosounds.

If you want growl, boost your low mids. I believe Jazz Ad has said this 'til blue in his face. . ..:D

Archived