Inexpensive two-space racks for bass head?

snakum

• Members

I ran a search on Ebay and came back more confused than ever.

Is there a standard-sized, lightweight (poly?) amp rack that fits something like a Peavey T-500 head? I won't need anything fancy, merely a double-space box that is reasonably strong to carry a head in. Are they all a standard size? What do you guys use?

(In 25 years on the guitar I never owned, or even played thru, a rack system, that I remember.)

• Members

I finally found two 2-space brands, and I've seen the bag jobbies, too, which I kinda like. Dumb question time ...

Are all rack mount bass heads a standard size, and is that size the same as the SKB and the generic Ebay models?

Thanks! :wave:

• Members

width-wise, yes. equipment racks are the same width, and rackmount bass heads are as well. depth is a different story. i know carvin heads and (IIRC) g-k heads are shallower than normal, but most everything (until you get into the boutique heads) are the same depth. buy a standard rack and you should be groovin'.

might also take a look on musicians friend.com and look at the house brand (MF brand) racks. i bought one of their 6-space units several years ago and it's still holding up fine.

my $.01, FWIW

• Members

My recommendation: Don't go cheap (as in quality).

I bought a "light" version of a rack case and the screws ended up stripping. I'm now using it's heavy-duty brother. This think will likely withstand a nuclear winter.

I'm using a Grundorf. Not inexpensive but built like a tank.

Archived