Covering other parts on the bass...

F-holes

• Members

I find myself having to to this from time to time. :confused:

I played in a blues trio once, where the singer/guitarist did Light My Fire.

He just did it as the basic A and B sections. But he left out the Intro/Outro parts. I pointed out that the tune was pretty lame without them. Since he only really did the pentatonic thingy, all he he do was bang out the barre chords. I got to play all of the organ riifs on the bass. :cool:

There was another occasion when I played in a band that was just thrown together for a gig in the Bahamas. Nobody really knew each other, so the tunes never got too complex. They did the Beatles, Let It Be. But the first night( We played every night for two weeks) When the song reached the part where the organ cadence was, everybody just kind of balked!:freak:

So I, without missing a beat jumped in and played the line in 10ths.

--14----12---10---9----7---5----4---5---5------

-----------------------------------------2------

-------------------------------------------------

--13----12---10---8----7---5----3---------------

I was standing behind the keyboard player who turned around and gave me this look--> :eek:

I said "What the hell are looking at? YOU were supposed to do that!" :D

I was wondering what some of your experiences have been in trying to compensate for other parts on the bass.

:)

:wave:

• Members

I play classic rock with just one guitarist so I find myself playing basic chords or runs once in awhile to fill things out.

I played in a jam last year with a bunch of friends. Usually 3 or 4 guitars playing at a given time along with a bass a drummer. I was plunkin' the bassline to some old boring classic rock tune at one point (can't remember the tune) and decided to double the guitar solo with one of the guitarists for something to do. Got quite a few stares on that one!

Archived