Just Bought A Svt Pro Iv!

HelterSkelter

• Members

Originally posted by HelterSkelter

It took me so long to decide. It was between ashdown then it got down to the SVT II pro and IV.........What kind of Cab should I get? Im looking at a half stack becasue of size, but it would be fun to get a full stack..

take a look at what you actually need. Full stacks are not fun to tote to band practice. It looks cool, but thats about it. I would say a nice Eden 4x10 or maybe an Aguilar

Dan

• Members

You will enjoy the 4 PRO, I assure you. Let me warn you that if you use that amp in bridge mono, and use a speakon wire, make sure that the speakon jack is wired correctly for mono bridge connections. This information is stated in the manual for the amp under the different ways of connecting speakers. The Ampeg 810e is a good cab to use for the mono-bridge connection or maybe a SVT 18e and SVT 410he for the crossover idea. Do what suits you!

• Members

All you will get out of the 4 PRO is the clean tubey sound. You can add in some midrange and get some growl out of that, that's about it. The 2 PRO has overdrive; you will have to add some sort of pedal with the 4 PRO. Mabe you should have gone with the 2 PRO. It is not as dirty as you might expect.

• CMS Author

I had a -4PRO for about a year. Traded it towards a -CL.

I liked this amp. I agree that the power was likely overrated....my -CL is actually louder, but let's keep this all in perspective....even with only moderately efficient cabs these amps will deafen you faster than a fat kid can eat a Twinkie. It was versatile, but it was *very* hard to get the Ampeg grind from it....you have to crank it to ungodly volume. As a result I got a Sansamp BDDI to supplement for rehearsal. With the SVT-CL, even as loud as it is, it grinds at a decent volume. I sold the BDDI.

Of course note that comments about SVT-CL apply equally to SVT-2PRO. The pre- and power circuits are the same...the tube complement difference is due to drivers for the EQ and effects loop.

Regarding cabs, I have used a PR-410HLF with both of these amps, and very highly recommend it. The -4PRO is more than able to deliver low-B and the PR- cab does a fantastic job of reproducing it. It's a tank if a cab, 128lb, but you'd be hard-pressed to find one as solid and free of vibration.

I also have had very positive experience with the SVT-610HLF and SVT-810E. More color to them...they tend to break up where the PR-410HLF will hold tight.

• Members

Originally posted by Craigv

I had a -4PRO for about a year. Traded it towards a -CL.

I liked this amp. I agree that the power was likely overrated....my -CL is actually louder, but let's keep this all in perspective....even with only moderately efficient cabs these amps will deafen you faster than a fat kid can eat a Twinkie. It was versatile, but it was *very* hard to get the Ampeg grind from it....you have to crank it to ungodly volume. As a result I got a Sansamp BDDI to supplement for rehearsal. With the SVT-CL, even as loud as it is, it grinds at a decent volume. I sold the BDDI.

Of course note that comments about SVT-CL apply equally to SVT-2PRO. The pre- and power circuits are the same...the tube complement difference is due to drivers for the EQ and effects loop.

Regarding cabs, I have used a PR-410HLF with both of these amps, and very highly recommend it. The -4PRO is more than able to deliver low-B and the PR- cab does a fantastic job of reproducing it. It's a tank if a cab, 128lb, but you'd be hard-pressed to find one as solid and free of vibration.

I also have had very positive experience with the SVT-610HLF and SVT-810E. More color to them...they tend to break up where the PR-410HLF will hold tight.

I had the same rig...can't add anything to your post. Good job!

Dan

• Members

Originally posted by Gearhead17

All you will get out of the 4 PRO is the clean tubey sound. You can add in some midrange and get some growl out of that, that's about it. The 2 PRO has overdrive; you will have to add some sort of pedal with the 4 PRO. Mabe you should have gone with the 2 PRO. It is not as dirty as you might expect.

One of the reasons I didn

• Members

It took me so long to decide. It was between ashdown then it got down to the SVT II pro and IV.........What kind of Cab should I get? Im looking at a half stack becasue of size, but it would be fun to get a full stack..

I adore my Aguilar GS212. Competes with any noisy bandmate and fits in my tiny Corolla.

• Members

I like the stereo option that the IV has as well. I want to run one cab clean and another with grind to it. I hope this is an option for it

I'm no expert so someone else might want to chime in if I have it wrong but in bi-amp mode each channel has its oun effects loop so this would be possible.

• Members

I was looking over the manual and the 4 PRO can allow effects on one channel and clean sound on the other. I would suggest reading the manual as if it were your new bible.

The 2 PRO is a 70lb beast, but the sound overshadows that. I carry it myself and I have been weightlifting, so no big deal.

Try out cabs to see what works for you sound wise. You have complete control over the crossover frequencies, so get what you want!

The PR-410hlf is a an awesome sounding cabinet, heavy, but the tone is great. The lows on that thing are pretty insane.

Archived