Dimarzio pickups don't fit in my J bass, what do i do?

zephyr

• Members

I really want to avoid that.

So much that I'd rather return or sell them instead.

And It's bull crap if I have to do that.

The installation instructions even say that these should fit without any modifications.

This really makes me mad. I can't afford to throw around 90 bucks on somthing and have it not work. Plus, i don't even think I can return them, most retailers woun't accept returns on opened pickups, especially when they are not in factory pakcing anymore.

Aaaaargh!!!

The bridge pickup is too long to fit in the cavity. And the neck pickup does not have the same outline as the hole in the pickuard. Plus the mounting screw holes in the pickups dont line up with the mounting screw holes in the base.

Aaaaargh!!!!

I'm hoping Dimarzio will refund me if I can't return them to where I bought them.

• Members

Would that actually work?

I don't know if they will fit in the old housings, and If i try it and it dosen't work, no way I'll be able to return them, or even sell them.

Originally posted by bernard_beard

pull out the little wires and magnets from your dimarzios and shove them in the housings of the original pickups.

• Members

Nope, won't work, pickups are different lengths, and the pole peices are aligned differently.

Originally posted by bernard_beard

pull out the little wires and magnets from your dimarzios and shove them in the housings of the original pickups.

• Members

if its an MIM jazz bass, go ahead and route or chisel the cavity to make the pickups fit. you can probably trim the pickguard with an x-acto knife to make it work. you can drill new mounting holes if you have to. you won't be 'screwing' with a vintage instrument, so my suggestion is just to do what you have to in order for the pickups to fit. Most j replacement pickups are built for MIA specs anyway, so no matter what you buy, you'll most likely run into problems all the same.

you could try the trick of sticking the bridge PU in the neck and vice versa. sometimes the cavity under the pickguard is big enough to hold the bridge length PU so you only have to modify the pickguard itself. And the neck PU should fit (because it's shorter) in the cavity for the bridge PU.

good luck!

• Members

I just sent an email to Dimarzio to see if they would allow me to exchange the bridge pickup for another neck pickup (which fits the bridge route).

I guess I can just fill in the existing mounting screw holes with wood filler and make new holes. Then alter the route in the pickguard a little to accomodate the neck pickup.

Does that make sense?

• Members

That might work...

My only concern with that is wether or not the pole peices will align with the strings properly.

I'll have to check it out.

Hopefully dimarzio will be willing to trade a bridge pickup for a neck pickup.

(that would save some time as far as routing the pickguard to fit it too, as the neck pickup is closer to fitting, the only thing that is off are the "humps" where the mounting rings go throught.)

Originally posted by HORSE

if its an MIM jazz bass, go ahead and route or chisel the cavity to make the pickups fit. you can probably trim the pickguard with an x-acto knife to make it work. you can drill new mounting holes if you have to. you won't be 'screwing' with a vintage instrument, so my suggestion is just to do what you have to in order for the pickups to fit. Most j replacement pickups are built for MIA specs anyway, so no matter what you buy, you'll most likely run into problems all the same.

you could try the trick of sticking the bridge PU in the neck and vice versa. sometimes the cavity under the pickguard is big enough to hold the bridge length PU so you only have to modify the pickguard itself. And the neck PU should fit (because it's shorter) in the cavity for the bridge PU.

good luck!

• Members

Choice # 12, Take that pickup set back, and exchange for EMG's You won't regret it. Best sounding pickups I've ever had the joy of using...............Your bass is too nice to have pickups that you can't adjust. Before they get any marks on them or whatever, return them... good luck.

• Members

I looked into the EMGs last night, but they are also sized for MIA basses.

I'm hoping Dimarzio will be kind enough to exchange the bridge pickup for another neck pickup (that would be the easiest solution).

If thats a no go, I'll try using the bridge pickup in the neck position and the neck in the bridge. Only issue with that is pole peice alignment. One of the strings won't pass through the middle of it's pair of pole peices (but will pass over one of them).

Lastly I might try the idea of sanding the ends of the bridge pickup in a little (it is just barley too long).

Originally posted by mrdak

Choice # 12, Take that pickup set back, and exchange for EMG's You won't regret it. Best sounding pickups I've ever had the joy of using...............Your bass is too nice to have pickups that you can't adjust. Before they get any marks on them or whatever, return them... good luck.

• Members

Originally posted by zephyr

Only issue with that is pole peice alignment. One of the strings won't pass through the middle of it's pair of pole peices (but will pass over one of them).

I don't know if that matters or not. As far as I understand, the pickups create a magnetic field that envelopes the strings regardless of whether or not they are directly above the pole pieces. I had a MIM jazz bass with the neck and bridge pickups swapped and it sounded great even though the pole pieces were directly under the strings. Actually, they were DiMarzio Ultra Jazz, so probably the same size as your model Js.

• Members

Originally posted by J the D

Use a Dremel.

Yo Zeph - I installed the same pups in my 99 MIM jazz. Had to use a dremel to slightly enlarge and deepen one or both cavities. It wasn't that big of a deal and it worked out great.

Then, I painted to the cavities after the dremel job to seal em off. Again, very quick and easy....

I've been gigging with the DiM for a couple of years and really think they get the job done. I'm sure you chose them for a reason so don't give up so easily.

Really, it's something that will take you a couple of hours max or less and then you'll have a real nice set of pups....c-d

• Members

Well, I took the plunge, and took a dremel to my bass. I deepened both routes and lengthened the bridge route.

Worked out well. The pickups fit and the bass sounds much better now. Before, I had no problem with the tone, but the noise was so bad that it was virtually unusable (even clean).

Now the tone has a little more punch, and is much less noisy.

Yay! Now I just have to get a couple buzzy frets fixed and all will be well.

• Members

Originally posted by garytees

Good work! I was going to suggest you only do it, if it was a Squire but seeing as you plunged ahead...I messed up a Squire a bit once and it didn't bother me too much.

It's tough to do a clean job with a Dremel, iddnit?:D

I had to do this to my SX Jazz, and it didn't come out as clean as I'd hoped. You really wouldn't notice unless you looked at it REAL close, so I'm OK with it.

I wouldn't do it to my Spector, though.:D

C7

Archived