Band PA Question

Thunderbroom

• Members

My band has a complete PA: mains, monitors, sub, mixer (though it's being replaced, power amps, effects processors, etc.

Last night was really chaotic trying to set everything up and then control everything from the stage.

Do any of you folks that own your own PA gear hire someone use your gear and run sound for your band? My band is seriously considering doing this. It's such a PIA to hook all this stuff up and then have to tweak the sound during the set.

• Members

We own our pa. We hired a guy to run sound about 4 months ago. (I always had to do it before).

Man what a relief! I just have to help set up and tear down. No more headache.

Just find a place that will let you set up and audition sound guys.

Have a trusted person listen, or some of the band listen if they have wireless gear.

We pay him a full cut. Worth every dime!

• Members

Originally posted by tylytle

Man what a relief! I just have to help set up and tear down. No more headache.

We'd also like to have him setup and tear down by himself. We'd help load in/out.

We have a rehearsal space that is amenable to trying folks out, but I think setting up in a club/bar somewhere for this would be even better. I'll run this by the band.

Thanks!

• Members

I have been running sound from the stage for years. I give everyone a job as far as setup goes(guitar player sets up monitors and runs cables,Drummer sets up lights and runs his mic cords,singer stays the {censored} out of the way...). It helps if you put stuff where it needs to end up as oppesed to just dumpimg it on the dance floor. Try to make the system as streamlined as possible by keeping stuff in the rack connected and make snakes for your speakercables and any other cable that goes to that side of the stage. Another trick I have found to be very helpful for monitors is to set all of the vocal monitor channel sends and vocal volume sliders at equal levels and adjust each volume with the gain control. This lets you know that if someone is'nt loud enough in the monitors they are not loud enough out front. Also try to use the same sounds(Don't over EQ) every time so you can just adjust levels and main EQ. A wireless also helps alot. We are at the point that we don't sound check. I go out to check things over and make adjustments when I get back on stage. Once you get the hang of it you will never want anyone else screwing with your system. Good luck.

• Members

We run our sound from the stage on small jobs and hire a sound guy with his own PA for larger jobs. Most small bars don't want you to take up an extra table out front for a sound board.

We have tried to find a sound guy to work with us a couple of times over the years but mostly they over work the board and just make a mess out of things.

• Members

I do the PA for my band and it's really not too bad overall. I trust people are telling the truth when they say we sound fine.

I usually start by setting the levels as I've become somewhat accustomed to. Then we do a warm up and I have one of the front speakers turned to me and I adjust again. Then a friend out front gives me the heads up on anything for a final adjust, all in that same warm up song. Then a quick tweak of the monitors. When we stop I ask if anyone needs more or less of anything in the monitors. Things always seem to workout just fine.

Another thing with setup is I've put velcro ties on all the cables so they stay organized, and I bring only what I will need plus an extra speaker and mic cable. It's less cables and organized which makes things easy

• Members

99% of the time I run sound and lights and play bass from stage.

I know the sound that we are looking for, and when we tried to hire soundmen, we couldn't find one that had the same ideas that we had. Basically, they sucked.

Then a buddy of mine that runs sound on the international circuit for big name acts came out one night and did some magic on my system, and now our sound absolutely kicks ass! I spent hours dissecting what he did to our system, and learned that his methods work on most systems with just a bit of tweaking.

It is easier if someone else does it, but it doesn't sound as good.

For now, I'll go with a little extra work for the better sound.

• Members

Originally posted by BlackBelt

I know the sound that we are looking for, and when we tried to hire soundmen, we couldn't find one that had the same ideas that we had. Basically, they sucked.

Then a buddy of mine that runs sound on the international circuit for big name acts came out one night and did some magic on my system, and now our sound absolutely kicks ass! I spent hours dissecting what he did to our system, and learned that his methods work on most systems with just a bit of tweaking.

Well, you must have been working with truly terrible sound me. I almost cannot believe that you get a better sound in the audience by doing it yourself, rooms change with capacity, and there really is not too much possibility that the audience gets a better sound than with a COMPETENT sound man. Monitors on the other hand, I could easily believe. Some soundguys pay aboslutely no attention to the needs onstage at a given time, and do a set and forget, and while largely it should be like this, there are things to be changed as shows go on. I've been doing sound for a relatively short time, I've learned quickly, but I'm in a band and see the need for good montiors as well as a good FOH sound. The only complaint I've ever had for monitors was the subtle changes in instruments before show time obiviously and that the monitors were too loud.

• Members

Originally posted by BlackBelt

What did you guys end up doing to clean up the guitar sound?

• Members

We have several conventional sound systems (mains, subs, monitors, power amps, mixers, etc. For the last 2 years, we have been running the Bose PAS- 2 sticks and 4 subs from the stage. No backline amps, what-so-ever. Load in and out is about 1 hour, or less, each way. No monitors, easy mixing, the only way to go, imho. The big systems stay in the trailer. We had a problem with one of the base units, and Bose sent us another one 3 day UPS-no questions asked. They are great for backing up their products, and tech support. No, I don't work for Bose. For less than 500 people, I think its the way to go. It does take a gig or two to get used to the no monitor thing.

• Members

Originally posted by IanStrap

Well, you must have been working with truly terrible sound me. I almost cannot believe that you get a better sound in the audience by doing it yourself, rooms change with capacity, and there really is not too much possibility that the audience gets a better sound than with a COMPETENT sound man...

-----------

We don't spend much time actually on the stage. Usually at least one or two of us are out in the audience, unless there are backing vocals required. The first couple of songs are our soundcheck, more or less. The PA is dialed in pretty well at this point, so that pretty much all that needs to be done is adjust for the room/angles/capacity, etc. I had been using a Goldline RTA, but found that the ear is actually better for the styles we are doing.

We all run wireless, and have hand signals worked out for communicating sound issues back to the stage from the audience.

We generally also have at least a couple of trusted experienced musicians that come see us every show, and they help us out with the same hand signals to let me know what's going on with the system from different points in the room. I know it sounds weird, but it works.

Still haven't got the separation between guitars worked out yet, as we took a month off to write songs for the CD, and the PA has been 'out of sight out of mind'. Songs are done, and next gig is in about 2 weeks. Will work on guitar separation then.

Both guitarists now using Mesa Boogies. That's the problem.

I'll get it figured out.

• Members

In the new band we have a simple is better philosophy. We run a mixer amp from stage and kind of set it and forget it. Compared to the four tops, two subs, rack and power amps the guitard in the last band thought he had to have. This is a dream come true. Load in and set up is less than an hour and everything fits in one vehical. We tweak here and there but for the most part it's a plug and play situation. To avoid chaos, give yourself plenty of time.

• Members

Originally posted by Cortfan

For the last 2 years, we have been running the Bose PAS- 2 sticks and 4 subs from the stage. No backline amps, what-so-ever. Load in and out is about 1 hour, or less, each way. No monitors, easy mixing,

It does take a gig or two to get used to the no monitor thing.

OK, so as an experienced user, let me ask you a few things.

1. It appears that the PAS has settings for a few typical guitar sounds, which can be slightly modified. Can these settings be saved after modification ?

2. As a rack system user (or if I use a POD type device) can I plug in such a device to the PAS and have it simply reporoduce my already perfect guitar sounds ? If I use 6-7 sounds during the night playing covers, I just want the PAS to amplify my perfecto tones without modifying them. How does one do that ?

3. It appears the PAS relies on the members running their individual sticks at appropriate volumes to balance everything out level-wise. This is a fond dream of mine, but one deaf guitarist is its undoing. What happens if my deaf guitarist cranks his stick because he can't hear himself ? How does it affect the mix others hear ?

4. If I want "a little more of that guy's vocal" how do I make that happen ?

• Members

Originally posted by Thunderbroom

My band has a complete PA: mains, monitors, sub, mixer (though it's being replaced, power amps, effects processors, etc.

Last night was really chaotic trying to set everything up and then control everything from the stage.

Do any of you folks that own your own PA gear hire someone use your gear and run sound for your band? My band is seriously considering doing this. It's such a PIA to hook all this stuff up and then have to tweak the sound during the set.

Talk to BobC at Jamclub.

Just get him to do it for you.

• Members

Originally posted by unichord

Talk to BobC at Jamclub.

Just get him to do it for you.

I may just do that!

It's interesting...I've talked with about 10 or 15 folks now that went to the gig and have about that many different opinions about the sound.

:freak:

• Members

We have a sound guy, but mostly because it's less stuff to have to carry in/out of the club, not because it's hard to do. Easieset way to do it yourself is to 1) keep all amps at the lowest possible setting while still sounding good. 2) focus on vocal mix above everything else, especially for the monitors 3) set the mixer closest to the person either doing the least or the most experienced 4) try to do all volume changes yourself (boost pedals, volume pedals, etc).

Archived