string tension questions

TCEDDIA

• Members

Heavier gauge by same brand has more tension. Longerscale has more tension. With low B 5 string basses longer scale is more popular due to the small increase in tension that gives for less floppy sound. I find lighter gauge strings give better balance of treble to bass content. So besides better playabilty I find lighter gauge have better tone balance. The tone shift isnt major, its a small tweek,ut stil worthwhile. Main thing is better playabilty of lighter gauge.

• Members
Originally posted by hasbeen

....lets say you start off with two identical .105 strings. Then, you compress the windings one. That string will now be a narrower guage but it will still have the same mass as the other and the same tension.

Altering manufacturing technique is cheating.....

;)

The only manufacturer to my knowledge that has gone to the trouble of giving a value to the mass of their strings is D'Addario - and created a grand reference as a result.

I wish other string makers would do the same as it makes figuring out sets so much easier.

TI has the right idea imo; a balanced tension set, or even one with a tighter bottom than top performs better to me.

• Members
Originally posted by knuckle_head

Altering manufacturing technique is cheating.....

;)

The only manufacturer to my knowledge that has gone to the trouble of giving a value to the mass of their strings is D'Addario - and created a grand reference as a result.

I wish other string makers would do the same as it makes figuring out sets so much easier.

TI has the right idea imo; a balanced tension set, or even one with a tighter bottom than top performs better to me.

yes, I agree. That's one reason I use DR. They take the time to make sets of exactly the same guage but in different tensions/stiffness.....accomplished by using hex vs. round cores and vice versa.

Archived