Car building, Dodge Demon or Porsche 944?

Sixgun77

• Members
Originally posted by bassplayinguy

Didnt you just buy a fender custom shop bass?

youre not that oil tycoon that retired with a 400 million $ bonus are you?

And BTW, Demon allthe way

no, I'm not rich. Yes, I put 1000$ down as a deposit on Satuday for the Fender. by midsummer or end of summer I'm going to buy a house(thank you V.A. loan!). When I have my own place I'll have the room for a second vehicle to have fun with. the Dodge is tempting, though if I go the classic route there's a good chance it'll be a 70 or 71 442.

• Members

Dodge all the way. Orange is awesome.

A restored Demon looks cool all the time but not matter how nice a 944 porsche is, it's still a 944 porsche.

Why is every color on a foreign car called British Racing (color)? I think I have a little British Racing Brown in my shorts...

• Members

Originally posted by Rowka

The Dodge will be infinitely easier and cheaper to restore.

ummm no....porsche 944 were fairly popular, and parts are cheap for it, mopar parts = $$$

ebay is your best friend in this

my 1989 w201 190e 2.6L mercades as of next summer

will be gunmetal grey and bigger amg rims on it :D..

eventually would like to get a amg w201 engine put in but $$$$$$ for that cause extreamly rare engine

• Members

I would have to go with the Demon. Keep it a subdued color, and nobody will even notice you until you unleash the horses.

I know the 944 isn't the 924 with the 4 cylinder, or the 928 with the 8 cylinder, but what motor does it have?

• Members

Originally posted by Rowka

The Dodge will be infinitely easier and cheaper to restore.

I totally agree. My frend Ben has rebuilt at least 5 20+ year old mopars (one charger, 2 aspens, one cuda, one duster)-- the latest, which I helped with, was installing a 440cid in a duster. had to custom fab the exhaust-- he had it painted the original purple, and named it "Statutory Grape"

it's much cheaper to locally source parts.

• Members

Go with the 944. It's a cool car.

I may start restoring a 1966 Ford Thunderbird this summer. It's as complex as a spaceship, interior-wise, but the mechanicals and interior are pretty much fine, by the look of it. It's the body that's scary-I'd say that 70% of the body needs replaced, but that's okay because I have all the parts and the guy to put them on.

It's got a 428 and a rebuilt tranny of some sort-too bad it's automatic. I might put a Gear Vendors 6-speed auto in there eventually, but if I get it going, what it's got will do fine for now. I just need to bolt the gas tank back in and replace the fuel pump and battery, and once I redo the brake system, it'll be driveable...

Maybe I'm crazy, but it sounds fun:freak: :D

• Members

To me, a hard choice, but the Demon. As bad-assed as you can build it, too!

Me? I want a '69 Mustang notch-back red with black vinyl top and a few goodies like the factory long scoop and flying spoiler, upper interior trim level, and a 351 Windsor with a wide-ratio 4-speed, and 3.0 limited-slip rear end. Ooo yeah baybee :thu:

• Members

Originally posted by bassguy

if you need parts might consider talking to 4string on that tbird, he manages a ford car dealership in calgary i think...not too sure though

Thanks!

Might be a little old to order parts through current dealer channels, though...

We'll see.

• Members

my dad is trying to rebuild his 67 Camaro Z28, you wouldnt beleive how easy parts are to get for these, the only thing you cant buy from the local parts deal is the stainless trim rings for the rocker panels,

just put a rebuild 650cfm carb on the cammed out 327 thats in it.... next up is all new brakes including a master and booster assy. and then after that is the 4 core aluminum rad and electric fan setup.... not going for restore here. just make a streetable driver that wont over heat

• Members

Originally posted by Sixgun77

I can't decide which project car i'd rather have. dodge in orange, Porsche in british racing white.

You can do some interesting things to a 944 engine.

Using a longer stroke crank from a 944/S2, custom pistons and the heads from the Turbo, you can add a good engine management computer and make some pretty impressive power.

Tuning the fuel/air curve and boost along with using a mild cam were supposedly the keys to success. Some of the rally cars with engines built as above would do 0-60 in four point (mumble) seconds, which isn't too shabby.

Lots of aftermarket parts and tuning enthusiasts, too.

Don't get me wrong, I like MoPar giants, but I'd build a SCARY Porsche, and enjoy the tight handling more than I'd enjoy the stright-line fun a big block gives you (I've done that in Vettes).

:thu:

Archived