OT: I Need Money Making Ideas

T-40

• Members

Things have gotten really tight around here again because of medical bills. I need to figure out a way to make some extra money on the side and I only have about 20 extra hours a week I can do it in. Unfortunately, I can't work a regularly scheduled part time job because I occasionally have to cover a 12 hour shift at my full time job. I thought about putting a newspaper ad out for doing odd jobs but I'm really not all that handy. Ideally, I'd like to find something I could work on at home a few odd hours a day but most anything I've seen like that are all internet scams.

I'm wondering how well antique looking wood toys would sell on eBay. I've got the tools so I could make 'em. Simple patterns of stuff like toy cars or tractors.

Anybody got any good, legal, and ligitmate ways to turn a few extra bucks?

• Members

If there was an easy way to make money at home in your spare time, we'd all be doing it.

If you can find some money to start, simply reselling things can make quite a bit. I've bought a few things off deal sites (fatwallet, slickdeals) and turned around and sold them for lots of profit. Especially things with mail-in rebates. CompUSA had some Compaq SR1710 computers a few months ago for $329 on clearance with $250 in rebates = $79 after mail-in rebates, no tax because I did it under my job's account (since they were for resale)... there were a lot of them, but I pooled together all the money I could possibly find, borrowed from parents, etc, and bought four of them. Sold each one for $400, and then got $250 in rebates for each system. Total spent was $1316, total made after rebates was $2600... almost doubled the money over the course of a month.

Of course there are always smaller ones too. Hard drives, etc. Can usually pick up a 160 gig drive for $39 or so and sell it locally for about $80-$90, or eBay for about $65.

• Members

sell your ass on the street

pimp a few girls

sell drugs...

Oh, Legallll!

Well, {censored}, aren't you the spoil-sport!

:rolleyes::D;)

I think your idea's great! I would say, persue it if you like the idea.

How much can you sell? And what would your range of profits be if you sold say, 1, 10, 100, 1000 a month? How many could you make in a month? Include time to package and carry them to the FedEx store. That's several hours on it's own. And when you price the shipping, include enough for postage plus boxing plus a little bit for your time and effort, as it's your time and gas to the store.

And would you enjoy the attempt?

If you don't like doing it, go hire out at TacoHell or Walfarts for the part-time money, 'cuz that's a lot easier.

• Members

The wooden toy idea sounds good. If you paint them nicely, they'll sell. Use child-safe paint and advertise that fact.

If you're slick, you can make money simply by buying and reselling on ebay. Since you're into music, stick with what you know. Look for things that are in constant demand, like MIA & MIJ Fenders, Rics, and Gibsons. If you know about amps, heads, PAs, effects, synths, synth modules, etc, bid on those too.

Keep your bids under 50% of the average sell price (no more than 30% on amps, as shipping is expensive.) There are tracking sites that can give you this data. You'll likely only win 1 in 100 low balling like this, but if you don't, you won't make a dime.

• Members

I have been making an extra 25-50 a week online through a website I joined. I posted it a while back and people freaked out, so I wont bother doing it again, but I made ~$150 this month and I could have made more, but I didn't spend enough time doing it.

You can PM me if you feel like it though.

• Members

Originally posted by Dark Slide

I have been making an extra 25-50 a week online through a website I joined. I posted it a while back and people freaked out, so I wont bother doing it again, but I made ~$150 this month and I could have made more, but I didn't spend enough time doing it.

You can PM me if you feel like it though.

PM sent

• Members

Originally posted by L-1329

Is working some extra overtime at your present job an option?

Unfortunately, not unless they tell me to work it, which doesn't happen very often. I've begged for more hours and no luck.

• Members

Originally posted by AntiStuff

You could start a Wishbass franchise.
:D
You could maybe do a paper route. That's what my mom does for a little extra cash.

Actually, I think I could build a bass better than ol' Steve but I'm not so sure anyone would buy it.

Paper route is out of the question because I'm a second shifter. I get off work at 11:00 PM and they start delivering the papers around here at 4:30 AM with no days off. I can't see getting up that early for anything unless my house was on fire.

• Members

Originally posted by bassman1956

I think your idea's great! I would say, persue it if you like the idea.

How much can you sell? And what would your range of profits be if you sold say, 1, 10, 100, 1000 a month? How many could you make in a month? Include time to package and carry them to the FedEx store. That's several hours on it's own. And when you price the shipping, include enough for postage plus boxing plus a little bit for your time and effort, as it's your time and gas to the store.

And would you enjoy the attempt?

I'm not sure what my profit would be on them because I haven't thought much past the idea of doing this yet. I would have to look at materials cost and find a reasonable price point where they would sell. Also, it would depend on how many I could make and how fast I make 'em. All stuff to be sorted out yet.

• Members

+1 to Z-X's idea about reselling on eBay.

My wife's uncle is a retired school teacher. He hits up flea markets, estate sales, and the like purchasing stuff. He turns around and sells it on eBay. He makes a GREAT retirement income.

To do this, you'll need to get over your hatred of PayPal though.

• Members

I've had this in the back of my head for a while, especially for a young guy. Can you spare 1/2 a day a week consistently?

We have a mobile detailing service that comes to my work once a week, and washes peoples cars. Not a detail, but a wash, windows, vacuum. Cars are $20, SUV's $30. He gives out a card where future washes are cheaper.

My company supplies a hose hook-up, and electrical. Minimum of 5 people signed up, or he won't send anybody.

All it takes to get started is some wash supplies, a vacuum, and the ability to wash cars well (windows are the toughest, and people the pickiest about).

Go to some white collar businesses, and ask if they would like to try it out for a week, set up a time, have the receptionist handle those who want their car washed. People drop their keys off at the front desk, in an envelope with their payment, and away you go.

You can easily bring in $100 in a few hours. If you want, offer other services, but the basic wash/windows/vacuum is the easiest. I think it would be a great full-time gig if you get the right companies lined up to visit on a regular business.

• Members

Originally posted by mamberg

We have a mobile detailing service that comes to my work once a week, and washes peoples cars. Not a detail, but a wash, windows, vacuum. Cars are $20, SUV's $30. He gives out a card where future washes are cheaper.

You know, I've done this a few times too, mostly when we were trying to sell a car (mine, my dads, etc). I was considering doing it again. Yeah, I could spend $10 at the car wash and another few bucks to vacuum it... or I can sit at work and make money and just pay someone else to do it. It's always relatively cheap but there's really no cost to them, and if you can find a business with a couple people that all want it done, it's money in the bank right there.

• Members

Originally posted by Thunderbroom

+1 to Z-X's idea about reselling on eBay.

My wife's uncle is a retired school teacher. He hits up flea markets, estate sales, and the like purchasing stuff. He turns around and sells it on eBay. He makes a GREAT retirement income.

To do this, you'll need to get over your hatred of PayPal though.

I know a lot of people around here doing that. I've thought about it myself. the only thing that keeps me getting heavily involved in eBay sales are dealing with packing supplies- Chasing down boxes and stuffing. That and PayPal can choke and die for all I care. :D

• Members

Originally posted by T-40

I know a lot of people around here doing that. I've thought about it myself. the only thing that keeps me getting heavily involved in eBay sales are dealing with packing supplies- Chasing down boxes and stuffing. That and PayPal can choke and die for all I care.

Keep the items small...you can get free packing supplies from the post office.

• Members

Originally posted by Thunderbroom

Keep the items small...you can get free packing supplies from the post office.

You can?? :confused:

I've always paid for any packing supplies I got from the PO.

Gotta run for now.

Time to head home for the night.

Thanks for the ideas, everyone!

• Members

Originally posted by T-40

You can??
:confused:
I've always paid for any packing supplies I got from the PO.

Gotta run for now.

Time to head home for the night.

Thanks for the ideas, everyone!

I'm pretty certain that you can grab as many of those Priority Mail boxes as you want. Of course, you'd have to ship that way but why would you care? You'd be passing along the cost.

• 1 year later...
  • Members

please someone tell me that how I can find websites with free and fresh list of online paid survey sites. are
www.paidsurveydb.com
lists true or not?

Thanks

^ :rolleyes:

If you live in a fairly large city, you can scour Craigslist for deals and then sell them on eBay. Work with stuff that you know - like musical instruments. But, then the hard part is treating it as a business and not hanging onto every cool thing you find.

Archived