Does being fat hinder performance?

Ace Of Bass

• Members

The leader of my last band (guitar player) made the rest of us watch some live Gov't. Mule DVD, as he was quite impressed by it. Warren Haynes looked to have fingers as big around as half-pound hot dogs, and his playing didn't seem to be hindered by it.

Besides, if all the chicks at the gig are fat anyway, what difference does it make if you are?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've been listening to the Clutch CD "Blast Tyrant" lately. It's great, by the way. Saw the band on the Sounds of the Underground tour last year; compared to all the metalheads on the bill, the Clutch guys looked like doughy middle-aged guys who stumbled on stage. Does that matter? Not really. Do they rock? Oh yes, they most certainly do.

I'm a somewhat doughy middle-age guy, I'd like to be less so, but I like to think that I rock.:cool:

• Members

Originally posted by picker13

OK, I admit it, I'm a fat bass player. (No need to start a HCBF Fat Club). I have not experienced any problems playing. Although I feel it's unrelated in my case, I do sweat alot, so I really have to stay on top of my hydration status while playing under the lights.

I don't think that's related man. I have a normal posture and I look like a frickin' waterfall of sweat under the lights :(

• Members

Originally posted by Andy Rontal

While I enjoy shopping at Whole Foods or Trader Joe's, I end up forking over a {censored}-ton more money to do so. Most people can not afford to shop at these places regularly.

If you know how to shop, you won't be spending much if any more than you would at a regular grocery store buying brand names.

Regardless, I just think people need to educate themselves about what they're putting into their bodies and make their own decisions...

• Members

Originally posted by bbl

Uh, no it's not. Not only is it not "almost impossible" to find foods without HFCS or hydrogenated oils, it's not really that difficult at all.

Although, the average person would likely be surprised when they read the ingredients on the products they normally buy...

• Members

Originally posted by bassplayer7770

Although, the average person would likely be surprised when they read the ingredients on the products they normally buy...

Well, if the average person is buying the product and THEN reading the ingredients, we have a consumer that not really interested in making informed decisions.

The government requires companies to list the ingredients so that consumers have the information they need.

• Members

Originally posted by bbl

Well, if the average person is buying the product and THEN reading the ingredients, we have a consumer that not really interested in making informed decisions.

The ingredients can be read at the store too. Actually, I was quite surprised once to read the nutritional information on Veggie Sticks (a snack food, not raw vegetables) at Wild Oats to see Trans Fats. They have a policy of not allowing products containing trans fats in their stores... I'm sure they took them off the shelf, but still...

• Members

Originally posted by bassplayer7770

The ingredients can be read at the store too. Actually, I was quite surprised once to read the nutritional information on Veggie Sticks (a snack food, not raw vegetables) at Wild Oats to see Trans Fats. They have a policy of not allowing products containing trans fats in their stores... I'm sure they took them off the shelf, but still...

Yeah, not to sound snobby, but I read labels all the time now to know what I'm eating and mostly to avoid hydrogenated oils. Heck, I returned some girl scout cookies at work because, even though they claimed to have 0 trans fat, they were loaded with hydrogenated oil.:confused:

I've even found a certain brands of foods come in two versions: one with trans fat and one without.:eek:

• Members

Originally posted by bbl

I returned some girl scout cookies at work because, even though they claimed to have 0 trans fat, they were loaded with hydrogenated oil.
:confused:

Hydrogenated oils don't have any trans fats. trans fats are produced by partially hydrogenated oils. Fully hydrogenated oils are fine--they're just not used as much because the fats tend to be closer to the consistancy of candle wax, where as partial hydrogenation is more like butter.

Besides that, if a serving of 3 cookies has .6 grams of trams....well, just change the serving size to 2. Then you can round the 0.4 grams to 0. Nice how the FDA lets you do that, huh?

• Members

Originally posted by Ace Of Bass

Hydrogenated oils don't have any trans fats. trans fats are produced by
partially
hydrogenated oils. Fully hydrogenated oils are fine--they're just not used as much because the fats tend to be closer to the consistancy of candle wax, where as partial hydrogenation is more like butter.

Besides that, if a serving of 3 cookies has .6 grams of trams....well, just change the serving size to 2. Then you can round the 0.4 grams to 0. Nice how the FDA lets you do that, huh?

Awesome. I learned something new and valuable today. I did some more research on this, too. Thanks.:thu:

Yeah, I learned about the

• Members

Originally posted by Andy Rontal

And, as far as the argument goes that people have the choice to eat whatever they want. That's true to a point. Yes, they have a choice. HOwever, highly processed foods tend to be much cheaper than healthy alternatives and produce and many people on the lower income side of the socio-economic bracket tend to buy processed foods due to economic restrictions. There have been innumberable studies showing this.

While I enjoy shopping at Whole Foods or Trader Joe's, I end up forking over a {censored}-ton more money to do so. Most people can not afford to shop at these places regularly.

I disagree.

I do a lot of shopping at farmer's markets and "ethnic" (Hispanic, Brazilian, Chinese, Indian, etc) food stores because I can get quality fresh fruits, vegetables, meats, and seafood at very cheap prices.

Much cheaper to eat this than to buy "processed" foods, but you have to work a little bit to prepare a meal. Processed foods are much more expensive than fresh. But it seems that HEALTH foods are the most expensive of all!

My beverages of choice are: water, hot tea "black", unsweetend ice tea, or any decent beer that is not carbonated or sweetened, but mostly Heinys, Guiness, and local microbrews. If I drink a gallon of soft drinks in a whole year that is a lot.

It alway cracks me up when someone orders:

2 Big Macs, 3 orders of fries (supersize), 2 apple pies, and a DIET Coke (supersize), then complains that they can't shed a pound. :confused:

I'm 6' 3" and 240 lbs, workout, and I can't afford to eat like that!

Maybe when I was 17.:D

Archived