peavey black widow 15"

ryanizzle

• Members

i'm replacing the 15" in my cab and i was wondering how these were. zzsounds has them new for $140ppd, which is pricey but i don't want to deal with ebay mischief.

it's the "Peavey 1505 DT BW Black Widow Speaker." i just don't want to end up buying the wrong one, so i'm checking here.

thoughts/suggestions?

• Members

BWs are GREAT speakers, but they DO color your sound. (in other words, they SOUND like BWs, if you know what I mean.)

$140 seems a bit steep to me, but it's below list. You can pick 'em up used, but as you mentioned, you never really know what you're getting. If you're getting full-warranty at that price, why not go for it? Typical repair cost on a BW is $80 or more.

• Members

the going price on ebay is 70 or so, but shipping on most of them is 25-30. i think the $40 difference is worth getting a new one.

i really haven't had the chance to compare 15" speakers, which is why i'm asking. i haven't played through the cab either, but it is very thick and heavy. i would be pairing it with a 610, so the bass presence is needed most.

• Members

I looked for a long time to get a few at a good price on the 'bay.

Isn't the 1502 better set up for bass? I thought the 1505 was more of a PA speaker?

all 15" BW's are not the same, the cones differ.

• Members

Originally posted by ryanizzle

well {censored}. i just ordered the 1505, but i just realized that they had a 1502 as well. what should i get?

I believe the 1502 is the bass speaker as well, I'll check Peavey's website.

PS - the 1502 is indeed the bass speaker, whereas the 1505 is for "Sound Reinfocement and PA."

If you'd like the information on them, search Peavey's webiste manuals for "Black Widow Super Structure Specifications" and it'll come up for you in .pdf format.

• Members

you'll probably be alright, but you could call them in the morning to confirm that they got the change.

They also come in 8 ohm and 4 ohm versions. If you're running a solid state amp, you may get a little more out of it with the 4 ohm.

If you're running multiple speakers, you may want/have to stick with the 8 ohm.

• Members

If you are anywhere near Central NJ or King O'Prussia, PA, I will have a pair of 15" Black Widows for sale / pickup (very reasonable) the weekend of May 20 (NJ) / week of May 22 (KOP).

I know one is definitely good for all uses.

The other sounds great with a synth, but is questionable with a B string. You can even try them out before you buy.

PM if interested.

I am replacing the BWs with Eminence Neos because I am too old and decrepit to carry around that heavy beast. :D

• Members

i'm from milwaukee. thanks for the offer though! a pair would be nice because i am buying another old peavey 115 cab for the hell of it. depending on the condition of the one i buy, it may need a replacement.

i was sure to order the 8 ohm version. i'm going to be running one or two of these at a time, and i want it to be flexible with whatever amp setup i'm using.

• Members

so i emailed and talked to a bunch of people. it had already shipped by the time i could contact them, so i was planning on returning and buying the correct one. but then i realized that would be silly since the 1502 and 1505 have the exact same specs. the sound may be a little different, but it will still rule just as hard.

Archived