Help me ID this Ibanez ATK and tell me about it

Coverdale

• Members

Buy it. Right now. 200 is a fair price, 150 is a steal. I will (eventually) come back from the dead and haunt you in your dreams if you pass it up.

Ibanez made the ATK in the '90s. It's a really great original design, and shows a much more innovative thinking than some recent Ibbys.

• Members

The body is ash. As for swapping out the bridge, you could remove that massive hunk of metal and fit a string-through unit. I'd keep the original bridge as it's pretty cool IMHO, and I don't think a new bridge would be an improvement.

• Members

Originally posted by Coverdale

What's the body wood, can you tell me?

And the bridge, it's the one that can change between regular and string through body?

you can do thru bridge or thru body. the thru bridge option is done a bit different compared to conventional fender approach. but you've got both options available with that bridge.

the atk100 was generally made in korea and i hear it was basswood. my atk 100 was probably a early model made in japan. it weighs too much to be basswood. a local luthier looked at the paint chips and at the body wood and concluded my bass body was ash.

Do you have pics of yours?

P1010162.jpg

P1010163.jpg

• Members

The guy said the serial number was

FC60110082

Could you compare it to yours?

mine's FC5050400. i emailed jerry from ibanezregister.com and he said that it was supposed to be a atk300 from japan made in 1995. atk300s have ash bodies so i'm guessing my bass started out with the intention to be an atk300 but ibanez stuck passive pots in them for some reason.

the first few alphabets on your serial are the same as mine so i'm guessing (really just an educated guess) that the bass you're looking at is a made in japan ash bodied atk100 as well. however the grain from the pics make the bass resemble basswood more than ash. can you try the bass out?

it's a good bass to be had for the price even if it didn't come with the hardcase. if you can afford it, it's a good bass to just play around with stock or you can go crazy with the mods and it will really be a stingray killer.

• 3 years later...
  • Members

I just bought an ATK 500 KA yesterday. From what I have found online, it appears that it was a limited edition model, offered in 1996 only. Basically it's set up like an ATK 300, but it has an alder body with a beautiful koa top and a transparent pickguard. I'll post photos when I can.

-Willy

Archived