Converge's "Hell to Pay" tone

FWAxeIbanez

• Members

Hey guys, I'm a guitarist mainly, but I've been listening to Converge's Jane Doe album and goddamn thats some of the best bass tone I've ever heard, especially on "Hell to Pay" the 4th track off of Jane Doe

any converge fans in here know what he used? seriously. amazing stuff... the first you hear of the bassist is at like 28-29 seconds, and its damn near orgasmic

• Members

from the FAQ on their site:

Nate (Bass):

Ernie Ball Music Man Stingray Basses

Assorted Effects Pedals

Orange Amplification

Ampeg V4 Amp into 2 Ampeg 8X10 Cabinet

I do know that when I saw them, he used a P-- and there are pictures of him playing a P, so I'm not totally crazy.

Stephen Brodsky was the bassist for Converge in the mid-90's-- that's funny, because he's also the vocalist for the band Cave In. Those Boston-area/new england bands are really incestuous..haha

Converge Cult

• Members

Originally posted by mounds

from the FAQ on their site:

Nate (Bass):

Ernie Ball Music Man Stingray Basses

Assorted Effects Pedals

Orange Amplification

Ampeg V4 Amp into 2 Ampeg 8X10 Cabinet

I do know that when I saw them, he used a P-- and there are pictures of him playing a P, so I'm not totally crazy.

Stephen Brodsky was the bassist for Converge in the mid-90's-- that's funny, because he's also the vocalist for the band Cave In. Those Boston-area/new england bands are really incestuous..haha

Cave in's "Untill your Heart Stops" should be required listening to all these new kids showing up in girlpants and myspace accounts

• Members

Originally posted by FWAxeIbanez

Cave in's "Untill your Heart Stops" should be required listening to all these new kids showing up in girlpants and myspace accounts

{censored} yes.

i just saw them back in november-- they brought out a few of their older songs. i think i was the only one there that recognized them.

tour was doom riders + cave in

• Members

An old friend (and bandmates) band had their first EP produced/engineered by Ballou, it sounded awful, but I think that was to do with him coming over to England and using a studio he hadn't ever used before.

Converge do always have great guitar and bass sounds though.

• Members

I though the bass work on You Fail Me was sublime. Took me awhile to get into it, but it's so good.

And as far as Jane Doe goes, I think you could kill large animals with the breakdown in Heaven in her Arms. Best breakdown EVER.

• Members

Originally posted by AntiStuff

I though the bass work on You Fail Me was sublime. Took me awhile to get into it, but it's so good.

And as far as Jane Doe goes, I think you could kill large animals with the breakdown in Heaven in her Arms. Best breakdown EVER.

yeah, you fail me had some killer tones, especially Heartless... thats the breakdown that makes me want to hurt things, and I'm not a pit ninja by any means... don't even know how to 2-step

1:34 makes my hair stand on end...

I also have to add that the part at 57 seconds on Distance and Meaning (off of Jane Doe) hits me over the head with brick every time too

• Members

they sound good in lots of bands. Jeff Caxide (Isis) plays a 'Ray (8x10 + SVT) and so does Brian Herwig from Pelican (8x10 SVT-II)

I recently picked up the reissue of Petitioning the Empty Sky- the remastering was done pretty tastefully, I think.

• Members

My guitarist and singer have told me not to even bother listening to new stuff... so I just listen to UYHS all the time and pretend thats all they ever put out

That reminds me of people I knew in HS that wouldn't listen to anything unless it was "HEAAAVVVYYY" I'm of the mindset that you should listen to whatever appeals to your ears, not the ears of other people. If that were the case, I'd not listen to nearly as much grind as I do.. haha.

Anyway, it's not bad, it's just much different than UYHS. That's all. I like Jupiter and Tides of Tomorrow quite a bit. Antenna was a major label mistake.

They still put on a very good live show. Sunns a-blazin.

And as far as "lately" they released Perfect Pitch Black last year, which is essentially a bunch of b-side material.. stuff from different eras of the band's evolution that didn't quite make the cut.

Trepanning is a badass boogie song. haha.

• Members

Originally posted by mounds

That reminds me of people I knew in HS that wouldn't listen to anything unless it was "HEAAAVVVYYY" I'm of the mindset that you should listen to whatever appeals to your ears, not the ears of other people. If that were the case, I'd not listen to nearly as much grind as I do.. haha.

It might have sounded like that, but trust me, thats not how we are at all... we are all about Explosions in the Sky, and were pissed when we missed Mogwai and {censored}... Good music is in every genre... Mercury Program, 12 Hour Turn, Pedro the Lion, American Football, Owen, Album Leaf, all sorts of {censored} really...

• Members

It might have sounded like that, but trust me, thats not how we are at all... we are all about Explosions in the Sky, and were pissed when we missed Mogwai and {censored}... Good music is in every genre... Mercury Program, 12 Hour Turn, Pedro the Lion, American Football, Owen, Album Leaf, all sorts of {censored} really...

Temporary Residence records has a lot of phenomenal bands-- I just saw Mono play last thursday w/Pelican. Amazing.

Archived