Tony Levin show last night

TCEDDIA

• Members

I saw him play with his band at Toad's last night (New Haven, CT). The crowd was small, maybe 100 or so fans, very intimate setting that Tony seemed to appreciate. He entertained us for about 2 hours and then signed autographs, etc after the show.

His gear is as follows: Black Bongo 4 string, fretless Musicman 5 string, Chapman Stick and his electric NS upright; he played through an Ampeg PB-800 and one 212 portabass cab with about five different effects pedals (digital delay, overdrive and others).

I know the term "consummate professional" is thrown around lightly these days but he truly is one. Fascinating thing to watch, in addition to his fingers, are his eyes: so full of concentration and love of playing. Very inspirational night. I recommend seeing him if his band comes to your area.

• Members

Originally posted by TCEDDIA

I saw him play with his band at Toad's last night (New Haven, CT). The crowd was small, maybe 100 or so fans, very intimate setting that Tony seemed to appreciate. He entertained us for about 2 hours and then signed autographs, etc after the show.

His gear is as follows: Black Bongo 4 string, fretless Musicman 5 string, Chapman Stick and his electric NS upright; he played through an Ampeg PB-800 and one 212 portabass cab with about five different effects pedals (digital delay, overdrive and others).

I know the term "consummate professional" is thrown around lightly these days but he truly is one. Fascinating thing to watch, in addition to his fingers, are his eyes: so full of concentration and love of playing. Very inspirational night. I recommend seeing him if his band comes to your area.

Was this the acoustic gig? I had a chance to see it and missed it. Still kicking myself for that one.

:mad:

• Members
Originally posted by vanlatte

Was this the acoustic gig? I had a chance to see it and missed it. Still kicking myself for that one.

:mad:

I assume you mean everyone else, because the list of gear says electric to me...:p

• Members

Very electric set indeed! Go see him if you can. The real treat for us aspiring bassists is that you can watch him up close (I was seated at a front row table!). I can't say enough about him.

The band, by the way, were members of Peter Gabriel's band from his first several albums (Jerry Marotta on drums/perc, Larry Fast on keys/synth); other members are Jesse Gress on guitar and Tony's brother, Pete Levin on organ.

• Members

Originally posted by Hotblack

Ya' know, I've heard nothing but good things, so I'm going to check him out. He's in my town in a few weeks, so I'm gonna' go check it out.

He's playing at BB Kings in NYC near the end of his tour. I wish I could go. I have to say, I saw him at Toads with such a tiny crowd, it felt like Tony was playing for a private party. It would be hard to beat that experience:p

• Members

Only 100 people showed up at Toad's? That's freakin' criminal! (must've been nice though)

I guarantee if he stopped at Burlington VT he could've drawn more...myself included.

I saw Larry Fast with the German prog rock band Nektar 2 years ago...really great and tasteful synth player- and one of the early ones. He released a series of solo albums under a "band like" name back in the 70's.

Jerry Marotta's great too. Gosh the whole band is...I gotta catch it. :thu:

Archived