Solo Bass Gigs?

ssimontis

• Members

Recently I have begun experimenting with jazz-inspired freestyle basslines. I figured that if I can sit there and play for two or three hours in my room, I can do it in public and probably make a little bit of money off of it. I'm not expecting a lot of money, I'd be happy with a few tips and a chance to get my name out.

I know of a few restaurants around me that occasionaly hire musicians for background music, and I figure I could play for tips at a few coffee houses as well. Does anyone have any experience with this sort of thing, or any advice they can give me? Thank you in advance for any replies.

• Members

Do it! If you've the chops and confidence, by all means GO for it! It'd be great practice. I heard Charlie Hunter played for five years on the street in Amsterdam, and listen to THAT guy.:eek:

Apart from that I have no concrete advice to give you. Personally I'd do it with some kind of rhythm box with a whole whack o' beats.

• Members

I have a drummer I could drag along, but I'm not sure if it would be worth it, as that takes some of the portability out of what I have in mind, and would limit the number of places I could play. I suppose I could have him just bring along a snare drum and a cymbal though.

• Members

I've done solo bass gigs at a local bar (I know the owner really well). My band plays there regularly too. I know most of the people in there so it's an easy going gig. I just play jazz type improv, as well as some covers like Stu or Victor-whatever I can pull off! :thu:

I've done this with a female singer at a couple of coffee houses too-playing stuff like Michelle Branch, Fiona Apple transcribed for the bass, as well as a couple of original compositions. It seems to go over well-especially since there are million of acoustic gtr. players out there doing this but not too many bassists!

Mr. Matt

www.badmattitude.com

• Members

Originally posted by mrmatt64

I've done solo bass gigs at a local bar (I know the owner really well). My band plays there regularly too. I know most of the people in there so it's an easy going gig. I just play jazz type improv, as well as some covers like Stu or Victor-whatever I can pull off!
:thu:
I've done this with a female singer at a couple of coffee houses too-playing stuff like Michelle Branch, Fiona Apple transcribed for the bass, as well as a couple of original compositions. It seems to go over well-especially since there are million of acoustic gtr. players out there doing this but not too many bassists!

So what do you do....run the head a couple times, then a few times through with improv...? Or do you just pretty much stick with the heads..?

Do you chord behind the vocalist or what....?

What about tone / eq.....c-d

• Members

Originally posted by chris-dax

So what do you do....run the head a couple times, then a few times through with improv...? Or do you just pretty much stick with the heads..?

Do you chord behind the vocalist or what....?

What about tone / eq.....c-d

With the female singer, I learned the entire song. Fiona Apple's "Criminal", I learned the guitar and keyboard jazz licks all the way through. Along with some tapping on the high strings and playing the bass lines with the low (I have a 6 string Pedulla),

it's pretty easy to get a good sound-very unique I might add.

As far as playing Stu Hamm or Vic Wooten, I cover their tunes the best i can-pretty much bass solo from beginning to end......

• Members

Originally posted by mrmatt64

With the female singer, I learned the entire song. Fiona Apple's "Criminal", I learned the guitar and keyboard jazz licks all the way through. Along with some tapping on the high strings and playing the bass lines with the low (I have a 6 string Pedulla),

it's pretty easy to get a good sound-very unique I might add.

As far as playing Stu Hamm or Vic Wooten, I cover their tunes the best i can-pretty much bass solo from beginning to end......

Sounds like fun....and a lot of work on the stand. Thanks for the info....c-d

• Members

I'm not the world's greatest bass player and I haven't been playing that long, but I figure I will give it a chance anyways. My hope is that since there are some incredibly wealthy people around where I live, one of them is bound to like my music and give a nice tip. Even if I don't get that much money, I'm still getting paid to do what I would do at home, and I get my name out.

• Members

If I am going to do some written stuff as well as improv, can anyone make some suggestions for some cool bass stuff I could learn within two weeks or so? I haven't been playing for too long so I probably can't play some of the stuff I like, such as Jaco.

• Members

Originally posted by ssimontis

If I am going to do some written stuff as well as improv, can anyone make some suggestions for some cool bass stuff I could learn within two weeks or so? I haven't been playing for too long so I probably can't play some of the stuff I like, such as Jaco.

Like I told Bassius a few weeks ago, try not to steal my thunder, but one of the tracks I am working on for my CD is "On and on" by Erica Badu. I think it's a great basss tune!

• Members

I'd like to try something similar too. I don't know if I have enough stuff togeather to really do it, but if I clean it up and come up with a "set list" I could do that. I might want to find a spot for street playing, but I'm not sure on the legalities of that.

• Members

Here's a few tunes that I try:

(with vocalist)

Criminal - Fiona Crapple

If It Makes U Happy - Sheryl Crow

What I Am - Edie Brickell

Love Of My Life - Queen

(solo)

Prelude In C - Stu Hamm

Bach - Jeff Berlin (partial song-kills my hand!)

and a few original compositions.

Like I said before, I get paid decent for the gig, but it's not much different than an acoustic gtr. gig. Sometimes the people watch, other times they're talking and don't even notice what's going on on the stage but once in awhile, since a bass is involved, I'll get a few people cheking it out because of the different sound. Pretty easy going gig and a lot of fun. Go for it!

Mr. Matt

www.badmattitude.com

Archived