Airlines vs bass

lowbasslowbass

• Members

Originally posted by lowbasslowbass

Well, it looks like we can't carry our instruments in the cabin anymore. It is time to invest in good flightcases...

I wonder if low temperatures and the pressure can harm a bass...

Have you travelled with your bass this week? Please share your experience.

:wave:

why only this week?

• Members

I just took my SX jazz in a hard case to Seattle (from Houston). I checked it with my other luggage, and in Seattle it came out on the conveyor with the other luggage. I never had to sign anything, I just declared it as a musical instrument. I never had any problems with the transaction. No obvious dings on the SKB case, and the bass wasn't harmed at all.

On the way back to Houston, I had to sign a waiver declaring that I would eat the cost of any damage done to the bass. (They aren't liable)... When I got back to Houston, they took it to the baggage pickup area thinking it was a rifle... I had to go find it. No-one came to find me. It was inspected by the homeland security people, but it was not dinged at all. All in all, I'd travel again with a cheap instrument. It was not much of a hassle at all. There's no way I'd take my Ric, RD or Cutlass with me. I'd be too paranoid. They said to relax the strings on the bass which I did, and the SX had no problems adjusting to different climates.

Hope that helps.

• Members

On Aug 28th, my son carried on his SX J in a gig bag with no problems at all. This was Newark to Orlando.

I hope they don't give us trouble on the return flight.

The SX will probably be destroyed if checked as luggage.

This terrorist sh!t is getting out of hand.

Archived