First fretless experience

TCEDDIA

• Members

Last night our sound man loaned me his fretless Mexican Fender jazz. It was my first experience with a fretless and I was extremely impressed. The action was nice and low and I didn't have much trouble with intonation (it had fret markers on the rosewood neck). The bass was extremely light compared to my pbass and Lakland JO.

The other thing that impressed me were it's Elixir strings. They were roundwound but probably the silkiest strings I've ever played except for flats.

I've never considered owning a fretless before but now it's on my list of gear to be acquired sometime in the future. I've been happy with DR lowriders on my Lakland but I might want to give Elixirs a try.

• Members

Actually after now owning one, I'd only buy one w/out fret markers. I spend too much time trying to line up exactly instead of more "hearing it". Granted it may not line up or pitch exactly, but it seems a little bit better to play.

And that's weird, because I hated Elixirs on mine... :confused: I use them on my Spector 5, but it didn't seem to flow on my Modulus.

• Members

Yup unlined is the way to go for me. It's actually less confusing and you learn really quickly where everything is. I may be off a little but for the most part I am right on. My ear for being in tune has definitely gotton a lot better since playing fretless.

Dan

• Members

Originally posted by willsellout

Yup unlined is the way to go for me. It's actually less confusing and you learn really quickly where everything is. I may be off a little but for the most part I am right on. My ear for being in tune has definitely gotton a lot better since playing fretless.

Dan

+1. I'll go into GC and just pickup a Corvette 4f they always have, and it's a lot easier just to hold and "go with" than spending time lining it up.

Speaking of 'Vette, I may be venturing back into the 'Wick camp...

• Members

Originally posted by Fireball_73

Fretless corvette 4 hopefully arriving in just over 3 weeks here!
:)
A joy to play and I was suprised how comfortable I was with the unlined fretless neck.

Congrats! :thu:

I really like that bass.

• Members

It's funny, but I never thought I would like playing fretless. I guess I was intimidated by not having frets to give me precise intonation. I sounded a lot better than I expected (or maybe it was the beer).

I was also impressed and surprised by the Mex Fender build and tone. Not at all a bad instrument.

• Members

I have a black Mexi Fender fretless jazz, and I quite like it, lots of low end and is definately a groovy tone, but I prefer fretted basses so I'm selling this bass. I bought it new last month, used in one show and one practice, has a tiny ding in the back and still has the pickguard protective plastic on it.

Any offers?

• Members

The sound of the Warwick rockbass I played (even though I am gettin the Warwick) was growly/argressive/clear enough to play meta/rock on; yet smooth enough for Pastorus and other fretless suited genres. I think I will use my fretless for most originals if possible. It had an exellent double tone for "Cemetary Gates" by Pantera. :)

• Members

Originally posted by Mogwix

I have a black Mexi Fender fretless jazz, and I quite like it, lots of low end and is definately a groovy tone, but I prefer fretted basses so I'm selling this bass. I bought it new last month, used in one show and one practice, has a tiny ding in the back and still has the pickguard protective plastic on it.

Any offers?

How much and how cheap to ship? I wish it didn't cost a fortune to do so! :( anyway! I want to see some piks! :)

Archived