Moment of truth - Need Some feedback

Kentrel

• Members

When I first joined this site I was a terrible terrible singer. I was out of pitch, my voice crackled and I was too embarrassed to post samples to get guidance, since I felt like a lost cause. I worked on some singing lessons for a while - mainly Brett Manning and some Roger Love.

Right now I feel I've progressed and have better pitch control, but still not that powerful a voice. However, I've reached a wall in that I'm not quite sure what I need to focus on next. Breathing? Going through bridges?

Here are some samples (direct link to mp3)

Here's the first verse and part of the chorus of a song I wrote. Its comfortably in my range. None of these are "perfect takes". I purposefully recorded "typical takes" so the mistakes you hear are ones I make most of the time. Hopefully that'll help with more realistic feedback

Just say yeah

http://tinyurl.com/og7f5c

Here's my "progress" song. Its the one I record and check my progress regularly. Its by Jason Mraz, so it takes a pretty talented vocalist to make it sound good, and I make it sound terrible of course, but its VERY difficult, so if it sounds better than previous versions (it does) then I feel I've progressed in some way.

Plane - Jason Mraz

http://tinyurl.com/quogd2

So guys, what do you think? I'm 8 months into my 1 year goal to have a pretty better than average karaoke voice. What areas should I focus on more? What will take me to the next level.

Thanks!

• Members

Listened to your original.

Breath support is the first thing that comes to mind. I would recommend singing to a pre-recorded track of that song, then combine the two when you are happy with your singing to it.

The cover sounds like you just aren't very comfortable with your voice yet. No authority to it. That would be my feedback.

• Members

Plane is better than Yeah. Your pitch is better. You need louder accompanyment on your recordings. I wonder if it would help or hinder your performance (hearing the accompanying notes so you can follow them). I usually play guitar / sing at decent levels ( lower than stage but loud enough for the wife to close the asement door :rolleyes: ).

• Members

Plane is better than Yeah. Your pitch is better. You need louder accompanyment on your recordings. I wonder if it would help or hinder your performance (hearing the accompanying notes so you can follow them). I usually play guitar / sing at decent levels ( lower than stage but loud enough for the wife to close the asement door
:rolleyes:
).

I used to play so loud that it would drown out my voice, so I learned to play quieter. For the purposes of these singing samples I purposefully made them a little quieter.

You're right though, I definitely do sing better when I play louder. Though the fingerpicking is correct for the songs and sounds better as an accompaniment, i'll practice the songs by playing the full chords. It makes it easier to stay in pitch that way. I guess I need more practice at pitch and breath control when the notes I'm playing are harmonizing notes rather than doubling what I'm singing.

Archived