Flea Bass! Talk me into it!

Jiggo

• Members

429194.jpg

You cant tell me this isnt sweet.

Ive played one a handful of times. I have to say i think its similar to my sterling and it can get most of the same sounds. I absolutely love the graphite neck on the flea bass.

Think its worth the 2.5k? Or should I just convince myself my sterling is just as good? :)

Either way, that is a sweet picture to look at.

• Members

Originally posted by Jazz Ad

It is way, way more punchy and agressive than a Sterling and there really isn't a way to tame it down.

Actually if you don't play funk rock or metal I think you will have a hard time finding a use for it.

-1 and wrong.

More aggressive and punchy? Hell yes. Because it's a Flea bass.

Stefan Lessard w/ DMB has been playing Fleas live since oh, early 2001. I don't call DMB "funk rock or metal" in any means...

It's all about EQ. It does yes have a very high top-end, but it's all about EQ. If you've ever used an amp before, it's not hard to get a wide range of all types of great sounds from that bass.

• Members

I had a Flea 5 for quite a while and wound up selling it. Most of what the above have posted is true...great build quality, awesome graphite neck, great looks.

What killed it for me was that big wide flat neck. I found it unplayable, being used to jazz-style necks. My hand would cramp up playing it. I suppose that's a great shape for slapping, but I only do that occassionally. Same with the sound, it didn't sound bad at all but it was more geared towards the funk-slap sound and I didn't find it very flexible for other styles.

So...great bass, but make sure you play one first to see if it fits you.

• Members

Originally posted by Jiggo

429194.jpg

You cant tell me this isnt sweet.

Ive played one a handful of times. I have to say i think its similar to my sterling and it can get most of the same sounds. I absolutely love the graphite neck on the flea bass.

Think its worth the 2.5k? Or should I just convince myself my sterling is just as good?
:)

Either way, that is a sweet picture to look at.

Buy the dam thing. It is beautiful :love: :love:

• Members

Originally posted by relayer66

I had a Flea 5 for quite a while and wound up selling it. Most of what the above have posted is true...great build quality, awesome graphite neck, great looks.

What killed it for me was that big wide flat neck. I found it unplayable, being used to jazz-style necks. My hand would cramp up playing it. I suppose that's a great shape for slapping, but I only do that occassionally. Same with the sound, it didn't sound bad at all but it was more geared towards the funk-slap sound and I didn't find it very flexible for other styles.

So...great bass, but make sure you play one first to see if it fits you.

+1 on this. I only like the 4's of this model. For a 5'er, I'd much rather go the Quantum route.

However, since it IS a 4, no way in crap you don't need it!!! :) Can't wait to see a real-life picture of it.

• Members

Originally posted by RockStarBassist

+1 on this. I only like the 4's of this model. For a 5'er, I'd much rather go the Quantum route.

However, since it IS a 4, no way in crap you don't need it!!!
Can't wait to see a real-life picture of it.

Agreed. I'd love to try a 4, and I might buy another one if that works for me.

Hey RockStar, how do you like your Schroeder cab? I want one, I'm thinking a 210 Lite.

• Members

The only one I played was a 4. It had the J pickups rather than the humbucker. To me, it didn't really feel very different from a good Jazz neck or the Modulus Vintage Jazz, even though specs say otherwise. I was not really taken by it.

I prefer the Quantum overall. That was the Modulus that really made me smile. I thought Zon's Sonus neck fit my hands better, and I'd bet the Sonus 4/1 would do a good imitation of the Flea.

Definately a nice bass though. I didn't think it was any nicer than a Stingray, but thats just my hands! If it speaks to you, BUT IT!:)

• Members

Originally posted by sunburstbasser

The only one I played was a 4. It had the J pickups rather than the humbucker. To me, it didn't really feel very different from a good Jazz neck or the Modulus Vintage Jazz, even though specs say otherwise. I was not really taken by it.

I prefer the Quantum overall. That was the Modulus that really made me smile. I thought Zon's Sonus neck fit my hands better, and I'd bet the Sonus 4/1 would do a good imitation of the Flea.

Definately a nice bass though. I didn't think it was any nicer than a Stingray, but thats just my hands! If it speaks to you, BUT IT!

Ive sat at GC going back and forth between a stingray and a flea. The flea definitely has way more attack then a stingray. Its a MONSTER. They can get similar tones with a bit of tweaking. The Flea seems like a stingray on steroids. I really love the sound of the Flea. I wouldnt say its better then an SR, i think having both a stingray (sterling) and the Flea in the arsenal would be cool.

That said, it is ridiculously expensive. Im trying to figure out a way to afford. Guess its ramen and water this month.

• Members

Originally posted by relayer66

Agreed. I'd love to try a 4, and I might buy another one if that works for me.

Hey RockStar, how do you like your Schroeder cab? I want one, I'm thinking a 210 Lite.

Schroeders work for me. There's been mega thread upon mega thread on sister forums about how great they are.

IMO, they are THE gigging cabinet. Esp. now that Jorg introduced the Lite series. I've had a 1210R (Regular), 410R, and now again a 1210R. I haven't been doing tons of playing this summer/fall, or otherwise I'd of traded up to a 1212L (Light) and used that on top of my Gordo sub. But if I start again next Spring or summer playing a lot, I'll be adding a 210212 or maybe even a 412 cabinet.

They are the most audible cabinet I've ever heard on a gig. Among the top as far as efficiency goes. You can get a 1010 or 1210 and only throw 500-750W at it, and you'd never know you weren't driving a massive power rack and a 410.

Check out Jorg's site: www.schroedercabinets.com

The typical figuring is a 1210 or 1212 = 410, and the 210212 or 410 or 412 = 8x10 and up.

I know you're thinking "THere's no way". I did too, until I got one. :)

You can't go wrong with any Schroeder. They are amazing.

Some don't like them because the older "R" versions had a "mid bump" that allows them to cut through in a live setting. I understand the new "L" series has tamed this and made it more natural sounding, but still with the cut-through ability.

• Members

Originally posted by Bass8987

I think the guy from Dave Mathews Band plays those (and a 5-string version) and he has great tone.

Yep. Stefan started playing Flea 4s and 5s in early 2001. In 2002 though he had a 35", 24-fret 5 string custom made, to fill out the both octaves he was missing from switching from Quantum 5s.

However when I saw them this summer, he's moved back to playing Warwick Dolphin 4s, but still uses the custom Flea 5 and a new Quantum 6 fretless.

And oh yeah- he had great tone live... :)

Archived