Question about boiling strings

Saturday

• Members
Originally posted by turcmic

I learned a great recipe for boiling strings. Take a pencil and follow the instructions carefully :

1) remove the strings from the bass, slowly

2) spray some wd-40 and put them in aluminium foil for at least 3 hours

3) put them into boiling water for 6 minutes (5 is not enough, 7 is way too much)

4) let them dry for 2 days at room temperature. DO NOT expose the strings to the light

5) put a little bit of corn starch on them (1 tablespoon or so) in order to help the boomy sound we all like and wrap everything into a piece of newspaper (I don't recall that the date or content was important) for 16 hours

6) put the strings into a large glass bowl with a cup of raspberry vinegar ( that really helps the mids) for 10 to 12 minutes

7) rince with fresh water

8) let them dry on a cotton towel

9) this is the most important part : take the strings and put them one at the time into any form of green plastic bag

10) throw the green bag in the garbage and buy new strings

:evil:

i fell over:D

• Members

Originally posted by james on bass

For what it's worth, it really only gives you a few more playing hours of life on the strings.

+1

Also, if you don't put them back on more or less exactly how they were, you create new "crimp" points on the string and you run a greater risk of breaking strings at the old crimp points.

Having experimented with this in many ways, my recommendation:

Don't bother.

• Members

Originally posted by dakhwon

Question for you guys... is it possible for me to use my guitar boiler tub for my bass? I don't wanna have to pay for another one just for bass...

No, when bass strings are boiled they create very low frequency sound waves. Bass tubs are reinforced against these but the guitar ones just fall apart because they are made out of basically paper bags.

My $0.02

Archived