OT: Just curious, how many of us are in the skilled trades?

RoboChrist

• Members

I have my diploma for Mechanical Engineering - Automotive design, but i'm also taking an Apprenticeship for Industrial Machinery repair (forklifts and such)

Ive been working for this company since i was in high school, and when i graduated college they offered me a full time job for some decent money and offered an apprenticeship as an incentive.

just think... theres not to many MEs out there with the field experience to work on the stuff they design... if im not happy with what im doing down the road, it wouldnt be hard to find another job with that sort of credentials.

• Members

You can always tell who is in the trades... they always have the nicest gear!!

I'm not kidding.

I play bass for a living and barely make it, actually I usually don't make it!... I know cats who work thier asses off doing Floors, Drywall, Painting, you name it and they all have unbelieveable gear... guitarists or bassists.

Good pay, good gear, good folks.

Much Respect,

• Members

I build hydrostatic motors/pumps/transmissions for farm/construction/industrial machinery(tractors, combines, bulldozers, forklifts, skidloaders, etc). Right now, I'm temporarily working at one of our suppliers machining parts on a lathe(not much to that though). Pays decent. Once I'm through with my debt(car and remnants of college debt), I'll have more money for GAS, heh.

• Members

I managed to complete my B.A. a couple of years back and now I'm studying for my B. Ed. (teacher's college). But before this I was a scenic artist and set painter. The kicker with that gig is that film work is so sporadic and when production dried up I went to work as a house painter. It's a gig I really enjoyed and it paid the bills. It's good to have a trade. I'm going to convince my daughter to get one so she doesn'thave to be a wage slave or wait tables.

• Members

I began an apprenticeship as a Heavy Duty Mechaninc, but was convinced into going back to school by my employer. They made tthe promise that I'd have a job if I wanted it when I was done...

So in about 8 months, I'll likely be continuing as a mechanic.

I like playing with tools all day. They paid me more than I'm worth, too.

• Members

Machinist in training; I won't say apprentice because well...I'm not signed on as one and probably never will be. These oppurtunities are just two few and far between where I'm at. I have a college diploma in manual machining/CNC programming and operation.

On the bright side I get the chance to do really cool {censored}...things most machinists much more experienced than myself rarely get to do...set up jigs, fixtures and operate a variety of machine tools almost every day, edit NC files, work with a variety of exotic materials cutting complex 3-d models for tooling molds AND I get paid pretty much what a first period apprentice would receive. So things are pretty good atm.;)

• Members

I've remodeled homes, been a roofer, hung wallpaper, was an apt. make ready contractor, installed carpet and flooring, and built cabinets.

I also worked as an industrial painter and sandblaster, and currently (since 1994) am a certified safety and health professional in the petrochemical industry.

• Members

I am in the military. I learned my job on the job. Does that qualify? I drive boats for a living. You give me a boat and I can drive the {censored} out of it. Anywhere and in any weather.

Right now I am in charge of the finances and personnel so I am behind a desk more than I'd like. as you move up the ranks, you get less and less field time. Sucks, but that's allright.

Dan

• Members

Originally posted by RoboChrist

Heh...had to Google your name...this your ride?

Ha ha, it used to be! That one is a -8 Jetstar with it's original config engines and wing fuel tanks. Ours were upgraded with bigger fan engines and different ext. fuel tanks. Man, those planes are just about the greatest machines ever built by man, and I miss 'em every day that goes by.:cry: BTW, it also explains my avatar too...

:cool:

• Members

Does being a trained musician count? If so, then count me in! I'm currently a freelance french horn player in the Louisville, KY area. There's not a lot of work here in town, but I get to play with the Cincinnati Symphony, the Louisville Orchestra, the Evansville Philharmonic and Bowling Green Chamber Orchestra, as well as the random pick-up gig here and there. All that plus working nights at UPS almost pays the bills.

nspbass

• Members

i'm not sure to well understand what is a "tradesman"; but seeing replies, i think i can say i've a mechanical engineering degree.

I've started in the workshop, on numeric-drive machine during half and a year, because i haven't experience required in manufacturing offices. Then i switched to aeronautic workshop during two other years. Now i work always in the same plane's firm, in a Manufacturing preparation office.

Archived