Home Theater / Surround Sound Question...

Phantasm

• Members

So, we got one of those fancy pants Bose systems for the living room.

I'm trying to hook it up and wondering if the "dolby surround" signal will make it in to the Bose and be decoded if I use RCA audio connections, or do I require some sort of digital connection from my TV to the Bose system?

Anyone got experience with this that can help?

• Members

"Dolby Pro Logic" will run through stereo RCA's.

"Dolby Digital" needs a digital link of some sort (usually all optical nowadays). Same with "DTS" (Sony-made surround).

Back in the day, "Dolby Surround" was a 3 channel system. Front Left, Front Right, and Rear (1 channel usually out of 2 speakers). And the signal went through stereo RCA's also. But I don't know what they consider "Dobly Surround" nowadays. 3-channel surround is obsolete. And Pro Logic is just about gone too.

On a receiver I used to have some years ago, "Dolby Surround" was in fact Pro-Logic. But that was like 6 or 7 years ago. I assume it's the same. But heck if I know.

It's 2006, man. Go digital.

And why Bose? What's with the people on this forum buying over-priced garbage? First Fender... now Bose? You could have gotten 3-times the system at 75% the price.

'course... audio, like basses, is a very subjective thing. So I'll shut up now and let you enjoy your new toy. :)

• Members

We went with Bose because we got the 3-2-1 system and didn't have to run any wires, essentially. So for further heresy points... there are only two speakers and a sub simulating surround.

Honestly when it comes down to it, I'll listen to music on it in the living room and when we watch movies we'll turn it on for a sub. The TV speakers were fine for me, but my wife wanted the little extra.

And I agree... it's overpriced. :/

• Members

If you want true surround, you have to use optical.

--edit--

My dad shopped around for a good month listening to systems that were up around $8000 and went with the Bose Acoustimass 10 because it sounded best to him. :shrug: They must be doing something right!

• Members

When I worked at Fry's we got things at cost for employee discounts (I think there were exceptions in the computer hardware area)... So when time came to buy a stereo, I got a Bose AM25.

Best $500 stereo ever.

Go do the math there to see what the markup is on those :eek:

• Members

Originally posted by TCEDDIA

How do you like the Bose 321? I'm considering it as well as the Sony version of the same idea.

It's alright, probably overrated for the price. We bought it at a Sam's Club for around $750.

I like that it's very small and compact, and sounds pretty good. It's designed with wire management in mind, there are very few wires and all the wires are black.

I don't like that there's no HDMI output. There is component output.

I probalby should have looked at the Sony version because i'm sure it would integrate better with our Sony TV.

Archived