Different Schools Of Thought (And CDs/Programs/Sources You Recommend)

LordBTY

• Members

So far, I'm aware of:

Bel Canto:

Raspy/Screaming:

Zen Of Screaming 1&2

Melissa Cross Sources

Speech Level Singing:

Brett Manning Singing Success

------

Now could someone explain what 'singing in the mask' means?

What have you got to add? (I'll edit the above list)

• Members

I dont think there are very many famous bel canto teachers.

people just hear about which celebrity uses what program and those are never bel canto.

I wonder where Eric Arceneaux's "AApproach" or his new one "Vocal Mastery Series" fit in here. Probably in speech level. I find his exercises very helpful.

• Members

So far, I'm aware of:

Bel Canto:

Raspy/Screaming:

Zen Of Screaming 1&2

Melissa Cross Sources

Speech Level Singing:

Brett Manning Singing Success

------

Now could someone explain what 'singing in the mask' means?

What have you got to add? (I'll edit the above list)

Bel Canto is based on Singing into the mask.

I think Jaime Vendera's program is what you are really looking for. Jaime's program is based on strengthening your voice, and it is rooted in Bel Canto, although he has defined the program more for Rock Singers.

• Members

Bel Canto is based on Singing into the mask.

I think Jaime Vendera's program is what you are really looking for. Jaime's program is based on strengthening your voice, and it is rooted in Bel Canto, although he has defined the program more for Rock Singers.

What's used for belting and musical theater etc?

• Members

Bel Canto means classical singing

Bel Canto is italian for 'beautiful singing'

What's used for belting and musical theater etc?

To me Belting means you are yelling improperly - you are pushing a lot of air in an attempt to produce volume, rather than the correct method of holding air back by expanding the chest and allowing the smallest stream of air to exit the body.

Volume should be produced through the correct use of muscles, not by pushing air.

Different singers use different techniques. I'm more of a Bel Canto type of singer since I've found that the training that I've had in that school of thought/style yields the kind of sound I am after.

• Members

To me Belting means you are yelling improperly - you are pushing a lot of air in an attempt to produce volume, rather than the correct method of holding air back by expanding the chest and allowing the smallest stream of air to exit the body.

Volume should be produced through the correct use of muscles, not by pushing air.

Different singers use different techniques. I'm more of a Bel Canto type of singer since I've found that the training that I've had in that school of thought/style yields the kind of sound I am after.

It's about singing with a high larynx with a decent amount of support, mostly.

• Members

The larynx should be low and relaxed in the throat, that's what I've heard and read.

I think belting CAN be done without it being damaging...I get the feeling (based on absolutely nothing really) that if you sing with a HEAP of resonance and thus volume, and just add extra personality and zing to your voice, then that can give you the belting sound as opposed to actually physically forcing air through...

I just re-read that, and it's crap, sorry. lol

• Members

In belting, the larynx should be high, and the tone is generally quite nasal.

It was originally developed in the 30s/40s as a technique to compete with a brassy orchestra. It involves a high larynx, a lot of support and a generally 'shouty' sound.

It's the sound of pushing chest voice past it's natural limits without putting too much pressure of the throat.

Archived